Experimental Design B/C

Phys1cs
Division: Grad
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by Phys1cs »

ak12 wrote:Do we have to show example calculations for coefficient of determination values, if added? I use my calculator for those as well.
your r or r^2?

I never have. Those are also calculator based things (I have no idea how you could calculate that...)
ThatRoboGuy
Division: C
State: OH

Post by ThatRoboGuy »

No no no no no no no
No.
You show your calculations when you calculate your averages for the quantitative data table
Here to help
Phys1cs

Post by Phys1cs »

ThatRoboGuy wrote:No no no no no no no
No.
You show your calculations when you calculate your averages for the quantitative data table
You have to show more than just the calculations for averages.
ThatRoboGuy
State: OH

Post by ThatRoboGuy »

To the rubric.
Rubric wrote: h. Quantitative Data - Data Table (12 points)
_____ All raw data is given
_____ All data has units
_____ Condensed table with most important data
included
_____ Table(s) labeled properly
_____ Example calculations are given
_____ All data reported using correct figures (significant
figures C Division only)
See "Example calculations are given". That refers to the condensed table with the most important data (the averages). And now, just to take it a step forward.
Rubric wrote: j. Statistics Division B&C– (4 points)
_____ Average (mean), median, mode, range, or drawn
in line best of-fit
Division C only (6 additional points)
_____ Measure of central tendency
_____ Measure of variation
_____ Other appropriate statistic used
Nowhere does it ask for sample calculations
Here to help
Phys1cs

Post by Phys1cs »

ThatRoboGuy wrote:To the rubric.
Rubric wrote: h. Quantitative Data - Data Table (12 points)
_____ All raw data is given
_____ All data has units
_____ Condensed table with most important data
included
_____ Table(s) labeled properly
_____ Example calculations are given
_____ All data reported using correct figures (significant
figures C Division only)
See "Example calculations are given". That refers to the condensed table with the most important data (the averages). And now, just to take it a step forward.
Rubric wrote: j. Statistics Division B&C– (4 points)
_____ Average (mean), median, mode, range, or drawn
in line best of-fit
Division C only (6 additional points)
_____ Measure of central tendency
_____ Measure of variation
_____ Other appropriate statistic used
Nowhere does it ask for sample calculations
Okay. So the very least you have to do is show example calculations of the averages. There still is nothing wrong with including anything else, and you still wouldn't have any need to show the calculations for either the line of best fit or for the r value
qwertyuiop1234567890
State: IL

Post by qwertyuiop1234567890 »

For a line graph, do you have to graph all trials and the averages, or just averages?
Phys1cs

Post by Phys1cs »

qwertyuiop1234567890 wrote:For a line graph, do you have to graph all trials and the averages, or just averages?
line graph: trials
bar graph: averages

this lets you draw in your line of best fit with a line graph, which is generated from your trial points. Bar graphs should have only one bar per IV, so graph the averages
mary5297
State: PA

Post by mary5297 »

I'm just wondering how people are preparing for this event because it seems as if my group and I aren't preparing "correctly". People have given us materials, and our goal would be to come up with an experiment, perform the experiment, and write the experiment in the 50 minutes. Are we preparing correctly? Should we get someone to give us a specific topic question and work from there?
Phys1cs

Post by Phys1cs »

mary5297 wrote:I'm just wondering how people are preparing for this event because it seems as if my group and I aren't preparing "correctly". People have given us materials, and our goal would be to come up with an experiment, perform the experiment, and write the experiment in the 50 minutes. Are we preparing correctly? Should we get someone to give us a specific topic question and work from there?
Is someone looking at your lab? You should get someone (teacher, or someone else familiar with a lab) to "grade" it on the official rubric so you know what you are consistently forgetting/missing. Add in a topic question, because you always get one at the competitions, so it's much closer to replicating the competition itself.
mary5297
State: PA

Post by mary5297 »

Phys1cs wrote:
mary5297 wrote:I'm just wondering how people are preparing for this event because it seems as if my group and I aren't preparing "correctly". People have given us materials, and our goal would be to come up with an experiment, perform the experiment, and write the experiment in the 50 minutes. Are we preparing correctly? Should we get someone to give us a specific topic question and work from there?
Is someone looking at your lab? You should get someone (teacher, or someone else familiar with a lab) to "grade" it on the official rubric so you know what you are consistently forgetting/missing. Add in a topic question, because you always get one at the competitions, so it's much closer to replicating the competition itself.
Yes, we have been receiving feedback. We were just unsure if we were supposed to receive topic questions because from past experience, we were never given a topic question and were simply told to create a random experiment with the materials that were given, but thank you for the suggestions! :)

Return to “2014 Lab Events”