XJcwolfyX
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by XJcwolfyX »

solakmagic wrote:
XJcwolfyX wrote:The rules state:
"The students must use at least two of the provided materials to design and conduct an experiment."
2014 Rules, Section 3, Paragraph a, Lines 5-6

If I was judging I would have tiered you.
Yes, and the provided paper clips and rubber bands were used. Two provided materials.
Oh wow haha I completely read the word "two" as "three"... I think my brain wanted to see the word Three and completely ignored anything else.

Yes you are correct. You should not have been tiered (at least for the reason that the judge stated).
Medal Counter: 73
Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

Does anybody know exactly what the rubric means when it states that "observations about results given" and "observations about results not directly relating to DV" must be included as part of the qualitative observations?

Thanks in advance.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
ak12
Division: B
State: PA

Post by ak12 »

Adi1008 wrote:Does anybody know exactly what the rubric means when it states that "observations about results given" and "observations about results not directly relating to DV" must be included as part of the qualitative observations?

Thanks in advance.
Observations about your results mean results related to your dependent variable. These would support or nor support your hypothesis. Some examples: ________traveled the farthest distance, __________ fell the fastest etc. Observations not about your dependent variable can include things such as noticeable errors, other interesting things that happened etc.
2013 States: Exp Des-3rd, Road-5th
2014 States: Exp Design-3rd
2014 Nats: Crime-5th, WIDI-9th, Exp Des-10th
2015 States: Crime-2nd, Disease-2nd, Exp Des-1st
2016 Nats: Bio-Process-1st, WIDI-6th, Exp Des-10th, Crime-11th
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

ak12 wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:Does anybody know exactly what the rubric means when it states that "observations about results given" and "observations about results not directly relating to DV" must be included as part of the qualitative observations?

Thanks in advance.
Observations about your results mean results related to your dependent variable. These would support or nor support your hypothesis. Some examples: ________traveled the farthest distance, __________ fell the fastest etc. Observations not about your dependent variable can include things such as noticeable errors, other interesting things that happened etc.
In the past, I've gotten penalized for putting observations that pertain to the dependent variable in the same way you did. It's happened at multiple invitationals. Thanks though.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
GeoChamp96
State: TX

Post by GeoChamp96 »

When you're calculating linear regression, do you use the giant formula with all the sums and squared's to find the slope of the regression line, or do you just draw in a line of best fit and estimate the slope based on values from the graph?
qwertyuiop1234567890
State: IL

Post by qwertyuiop1234567890 »

Don't you just plug the points into your programmable calculator and press LinReg?
GeoChamp96

Post by GeoChamp96 »

I'm thinking more about the example calculation you have to show.
Phys1cs
State: MD

Post by Phys1cs »

GeoChamp96 wrote:When you're calculating linear regression, do you use the giant formula with all the sums and squared's to find the slope of the regression line, or do you just draw in a line of best fit and estimate the slope based on values from the graph?
the "giant formula" is standard deviation. (don't forget the square root of that)

to calculate linear regressions, you enter data points into the stat of your calculator (TI83 or 84 is all I have worked with and this is what you use) then go to calculate, and in that list should be either linreg or expreg. If your plot looks exponential, use the expreg. You shouldn't have to show a sample calculation for this because the process is ardourous and long, so supervisors should (supervisors, correct me if I'm wrong) understand where you're getting that from. Any other stat you use should be shown how you got it (mean, median, standard deviation, etc)

Your regression line is your line of best fit as well, so plotting that accurately shows you know how to plot lines. The 83/84 shows regressions in y=mx+b form, so the m is your slope, so there is no calculation there either
GeoChamp96

Post by GeoChamp96 »

Phys1cs wrote:
GeoChamp96 wrote:When you're calculating linear regression, do you use the giant formula with all the sums and squared's to find the slope of the regression line, or do you just draw in a line of best fit and estimate the slope based on values from the graph?
the "giant formula" is standard deviation. (don't forget the square root of that)

to calculate linear regressions, you enter data points into the stat of your calculator (TI83 or 84 is all I have worked with and this is what you use) then go to calculate, and in that list should be either linreg or expreg. If your plot looks exponential, use the expreg. You shouldn't have to show a sample calculation for this because the process is ardourous and long, so supervisors should (supervisors, correct me if I'm wrong) understand where you're getting that from. Any other stat you use should be shown how you got it (mean, median, standard deviation, etc)

Your regression line is your line of best fit as well, so plotting that accurately shows you know how to plot lines. The 83/84 shows regressions in y=mx+b form, so the m is your slope, so there is no calculation there either
Alright, that's what I thought. Thank you.
ak12
Division: B
State: PA

Post by ak12 »

Do we have to show example calculations for coefficient of determination values, if added? I use my calculator for those as well.
2013 States: Exp Des-3rd, Road-5th
2014 States: Exp Design-3rd
2014 Nats: Crime-5th, WIDI-9th, Exp Des-10th
2015 States: Crime-2nd, Disease-2nd, Exp Des-1st
2016 Nats: Bio-Process-1st, WIDI-6th, Exp Des-10th, Crime-11th

Return to “2014 Lab Events”