Experimental Design B/C

1nxtmonster
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by 1nxtmonster »

So we're a Division B team, and experimental design has been inconistent for us. We use the same style of experiments and write-up every time, but the results vary from getting medals to getting last. Anyone (judges especially) who could tell me what we could possibly getting points docked for?
Mortem_Haedo
State: OH

Post by Mortem_Haedo »

1nxtmonster wrote:So we're a Division B team, and experimental design has been inconistent for us. We use the same style of experiments and write-up every time, but the results vary from getting medals to getting last. Anyone (judges especially) who could tell me what we could possibly getting points docked for?
If you get your rubric back with your experiment, that should state why you missed any points. The only other thing I can think of are penalties for not following instructions. We had judges who would take off points for not putting papers in order, splitting up the papers, needing more materials, not cleaning up properly, etc. Big penalties would be for no safety goggles or having a phone out (happened to us, but she just told us to put it away).
ThatRoboGuy
Division: C

Post by ThatRoboGuy »

That's the one thing I hate about experimental design. It is insanely inconsistent. All judges will grade it differently, and some very irrationally.

"Alright, hypothesis. Looks kinda good."
"Rolling the die. Okay, it's a 3. Mark it down."
"3, got it. Variables. This one looks choppy, I'll throw down a 0."
Here to help
Mortem_Haedo

Post by Mortem_Haedo »

I have a question for ya'll...
Someone just edited the wiki and said to not list materials like time piece, ruler, etc.
But I always put it down because we used it for our experiment (measuring location, distance, etc.) and getting our results.
We never got points off so I assumed it was alright
Do you guys think it's okay to write down rulers, stopwatches, etc. if they are necessary for a constant experiment or collecting data?
:D thanks
Sciolapedia
State: PA

Post by Sciolapedia »

I have a question for those of you who have done expd at nats. So if my team makes nats, Im probably going to be in expd. Im kind of confused as to how the winning teams had only 50/60 to 55/60. That means that the proctors grade significantly harder. My question is how do i prepare for nationals since theyre grading hard? What do they take points off on?
Phys1cs
Division: Grad
State: MD

Post by Phys1cs »

Mortem_Haedo wrote:I have a question for ya'll...
Someone just edited the wiki and said to not list materials like time piece, ruler, etc.
But I always put it down because we used it for our experiment (measuring location, distance, etc.) and getting our results.
We never got points off so I assumed it was alright
Do you guys think it's okay to write down rulers, stopwatches, etc. if they are necessary for a constant experiment or collecting data?
:D thanks
Since they are necessary and a part of your lab, You should add them to the materials list. The list should include anything you are using in your lab, so timepieces should be included.
ThatRoboGuy

Post by ThatRoboGuy »

zyzzyva980 wrote:
Mortem_Haedo wrote:I think the ruler is solely used for measurements and you can only include in the experiment the materials they give you. Sometimes they give you a list of materials you can use, so you can check that ^_^
That's correct. You shouldn't use any materials that you bring into the room for the experiment itself (just for measurements)
There was just a discussion about this.
Here to help
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SOnerd »

I have only taken 1 test, at an invitational. They let us bring in the rubric to use during the test.
Will they continue to let teams at the regional and state level?
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
Mortem_Haedo

Post by Mortem_Haedo »

I have heard that some competitions allow the rubric, but I have been to three and none of them have allowed it. The rules also state nothing about the testers allowing the use of a rubric, so I would bring it just in case but have it memorized for sure. If you know the rubric, then you have a good chance of placing.
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

SOnerd wrote:I have only taken 1 test, at an invitational. They let us bring in the rubric to use during the test.
Will they continue to let teams at the regional and state level?
They should not have let you bring in a rubric with you, but they have every right to provide each team with one. As Mortem said, it's always good to memorize it!
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality

Return to “2014 Lab Events”