Experimental Design B/C

fozendog
Division: Grad
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by fozendog » February 1st, 2014, 3:01 pm

I have also found that it's nice to add a lot of detail to your materials list, so you could specify the length of something or the dimensions of an item given to you. It just adds to the quality of your lab write up.
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality

Phys1cs
State: MD

Post by Phys1cs » February 1st, 2014, 4:15 pm

Just remember not to list your materials in the procedure. the step should be "gather materials", not "gather materials, 1 glass cup, etc"

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink » February 2nd, 2014, 2:02 pm

finagle29 wrote:What's the most difficult set of materials and topic you've had to design an experiment around? My Experiment team is trying to reduce the time it takes us to plan what experiment we're going to do by placing ourselves in worst-case scenarios.
Instead of thinking materials, it might help to think topics. Although, the example I use for worst-case scenario is one I read on this Web site from a really lazy event supervisor at some invitational. If I recall, participants were given a tub of water, some aluminum foil, and maybe something else. I don't even know if they were given a topic! Search the site for it. I don't even know what I'd do in that scenario :?

Bozongle
Division: B
State: IN

Post by Bozongle » February 3rd, 2014, 10:17 am

Skink wrote:
finagle29 wrote:What's the most difficult set of materials and topic you've had to design an experiment around? My Experiment team is trying to reduce the time it takes us to plan what experiment we're going to do by placing ourselves in worst-case scenarios.
Instead of thinking materials, it might help to think topics. Although, the example I use for worst-case scenario is one I read on this Web site from a really lazy event supervisor at some invitational. If I recall, participants were given a tub of water, some aluminum foil, and maybe something else. I don't even know if they were given a topic! Search the site for it. I don't even know what I'd do in that scenario :?
Depending on what the other item was, maybe if it was a mass of some sort, make a boat out of the aluminum and test buoyancy?

ninjapenguin
State: AZ

Post by ninjapenguin » February 3rd, 2014, 9:08 pm

YES!!!!!! FIRST PLACE IN REGIONALS!!!!! ALONE!!!!!

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 » February 3rd, 2014, 9:47 pm

Congratulations! But don't fly too close to the sun, Icarus- know your limits.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog » February 3rd, 2014, 11:15 pm

ninjapenguin wrote:YES!!!!!! FIRST PLACE IN REGIONALS!!!!! ALONE!!!!!
Wow. Major props to you, my friend. That is quite amazing.
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality

EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » February 4th, 2014, 6:50 am

I still think you're playing with fire. Whether or not you do it alone at states is up to you.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Bozongle
State: IN

Post by Bozongle » February 4th, 2014, 6:55 am

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:
I still think you're playing with fire. Whether or not you do it alone at states is up to you.
I agree with this. The difficulty level for experimental design between state and regionals is pretty steep based on my experience. Judges usually at that level will find bizarre topics, and purposely try to find ways to force 3-man teams to crunch for time in the last few minutes of the time slot. Also considering all of this you'd have to write a quality report by yourself to get a chance at placing. I suggest you find two other random team members willing to help you out during state, it's better than you by yourself.

jwalkotten
Division: C
State: MI

Post by jwalkotten » February 4th, 2014, 5:25 pm

A couple questions if anyone could help :)
1) it says to give a measure of central tendency (for division C). What does it want here? Because mean, median, and mode, are all measures of central tendency, but we have already given these...
2) what does "other appropriate statistic used" mean? some people have said to get a regression analysis, but how do you get that for all three levels of IV? because your regression analysis is going to be for the line of best fit for your data, but your statistics are supposed to be comparing each of you trials in each level of IV (at least that's what I thought...)
Thanks if anyone could help!
2013 Regionals - 1st Overall, 1st Exp. Design, 3rd Anatomy, 5th Disease Detectives
2013 State - 4th Overall, 3rd Exp. Design, 3rd Disease Detectives, 5th Shock Value, 7th Anatomy

Return to “2014 Lab Events”