Experimental Design B/C

Locked
User avatar
ThatRoboGuy
Member
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: February 22nd, 2014, 5:51 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by ThatRoboGuy » March 6th, 2014, 6:15 pm

Huehuehue...still in Division B. c;
But I'll try my best.

When I make my statistics table, I make it like the data table.

Row 1 is IV 1
Row 2 is IV 2
Row 3 is IV 3
Row 4 is Overall

Column 1 is Average
Column 2 is Median
Column 3 is Mode (If there isn't one, write N/A)
Column 4 is Range (Stupid statistic, but these four are required by rules for Div B)

Hope I helped.
Here to help

JTMess
Member
Member
Posts: 104
Joined: January 14th, 2011, 6:45 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by JTMess » March 6th, 2014, 8:42 pm

What do people normally use as the "other appropriate statistic" in their experiments?
2014 States: Scrambler-2nd, Mission Possible-2nd, Experimental Design-3rd, Circuit Lab-3rd
2014 Regionals: Scrambler-1st, Mission-1st, Technical Problem Solving-1st, Circuit Lab-1st, Maglev-1st, Bungee Drop-1st
2013 States: Gravity Vehicle-1st, Fermi-8th, Maglev-1st

BSchiffer
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 3:45 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by BSchiffer » March 7th, 2014, 5:02 am

I know we are allowed to bring a ruler, but are we allowed to use this ruler in our experiment, for say, a ramp? Or a support? Or is the ruler solely for measurements?

Mortem_Haedo
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: March 2nd, 2014, 4:38 pm
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by Mortem_Haedo » March 7th, 2014, 6:49 am

I think the ruler is solely used for measurements and you can only include in the experiment the materials they give you. Sometimes they give you a list of materials you can use, so you can check that ^_^

User avatar
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 1539
Joined: November 18th, 2009, 12:59 pm
Division: Grad
State: IA
Location: Des Moines
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by zyzzyva980 » March 7th, 2014, 12:20 pm

Mortem_Haedo wrote:I think the ruler is solely used for measurements and you can only include in the experiment the materials they give you. Sometimes they give you a list of materials you can use, so you can check that ^_^
That's correct. You shouldn't use any materials that you bring into the room for the experiment itself (just for measurements)
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

JTMess
Member
Member
Posts: 104
Joined: January 14th, 2011, 6:45 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by JTMess » March 8th, 2014, 11:17 pm

How is the measure of central tendency in the division c stats different from the mean, median, and mode in the general stats section? Also, does work need to be shown for stats or is it appropriate to obtain them directly from your calculator?
2014 States: Scrambler-2nd, Mission Possible-2nd, Experimental Design-3rd, Circuit Lab-3rd
2014 Regionals: Scrambler-1st, Mission-1st, Technical Problem Solving-1st, Circuit Lab-1st, Maglev-1st, Bungee Drop-1st
2013 States: Gravity Vehicle-1st, Fermi-8th, Maglev-1st

Phys1cs
Member
Member
Posts: 129
Joined: November 10th, 2013, 6:53 pm
Division: Grad
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by Phys1cs » March 9th, 2014, 5:53 pm

JTMess wrote:How is the measure of central tendency in the division c stats different from the mean, median, and mode in the general stats section? Also, does work need to be shown for stats or is it appropriate to obtain them directly from your calculator?
Measure of central tendency is basically standard deviation.
Work does need to be shown for at least one of each type of statistic you use. Usually you get an extra sheet of paper (if not, ask! tell your supervisor what you're using it for and they should give you one) I then always write by the stat table "see (insert thing here) for the computations. They were all done with data set X" Then just show the work for all the computations of data set X and you should get all the points!

JTMess
Member
Member
Posts: 104
Joined: January 14th, 2011, 6:45 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by JTMess » March 10th, 2014, 7:43 am

Phys1cs wrote:
JTMess wrote:How is the measure of central tendency in the division c stats different from the mean, median, and mode in the general stats section? Also, does work need to be shown for stats or is it appropriate to obtain them directly from your calculator?
Measure of central tendency is basically standard deviation.
Work does need to be shown for at least one of each type of statistic you use. Usually you get an extra sheet of paper (if not, ask! tell your supervisor what you're using it for and they should give you one) I then always write by the stat table "see (insert thing here) for the computations. They were all done with data set X" Then just show the work for all the computations of data set X and you should get all the points!
Hmmm ok we thought that the measure of variation was standard deviation. What is this stat supposed to be then?
2014 States: Scrambler-2nd, Mission Possible-2nd, Experimental Design-3rd, Circuit Lab-3rd
2014 Regionals: Scrambler-1st, Mission-1st, Technical Problem Solving-1st, Circuit Lab-1st, Maglev-1st, Bungee Drop-1st
2013 States: Gravity Vehicle-1st, Fermi-8th, Maglev-1st

jwalkotten
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: February 4th, 2014, 5:20 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by jwalkotten » March 10th, 2014, 5:20 pm

JTMess wrote:
Phys1cs wrote:
JTMess wrote:How is the measure of central tendency in the division c stats different from the mean, median, and mode in the general stats section? Also, does work need to be shown for stats or is it appropriate to obtain them directly from your calculator?
Measure of central tendency is basically standard deviation.
Work does need to be shown for at least one of each type of statistic you use. Usually you get an extra sheet of paper (if not, ask! tell your supervisor what you're using it for and they should give you one) I then always write by the stat table "see (insert thing here) for the computations. They were all done with data set X" Then just show the work for all the computations of data set X and you should get all the points!
Hmmm ok we thought that the measure of variation was standard deviation. What is this stat supposed to be then?
measure of variation is standard deviation...
measure of central tendency is mean, median, or mode...hence I was also confused haha
we basically just do as many statistics as we can think of and hope we get it all. we have at the invitationals so far but not 100% sure
we do mean, median, mode, range, drawn-in-line-of-best-fit, standard deviation, and variance
not sure if that helps at all
2013 Regionals - 1st Overall, 1st Exp. Design, 3rd Anatomy, 5th Disease Detectives
2013 State - 4th Overall, 3rd Exp. Design, 3rd Disease Detectives, 5th Shock Value, 7th Anatomy

Phys1cs
Member
Member
Posts: 129
Joined: November 10th, 2013, 6:53 pm
Division: Grad
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by Phys1cs » March 10th, 2014, 6:58 pm

[quote="
Hmmm ok we thought that the measure of variation was standard deviation. What is this stat supposed to be then?[/quote]
measure of variation is standard deviation...[/quote]

Standard deviation is the square root of the variance, and the variation is the standard deviation squared

Locked

Return to “2014 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest