audreyrose131
Division: B
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by audreyrose131 »

cupcakegirl wrote:
Emerson_Connolly wrote:Hey I'm reaserching forensics but hasn't found one main site of infromation I can use, Does anyone know any, Thanks
I don't think there's really one specific site with everything, but the Crime Busters page on soinc.org has A TON of information and resources that should help. Beyond that, google. ;)
always google :D
vennowsah
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by vennowsah »

Emerson_Connolly wrote:Hey I'm reaserching forensics but hasn't found one main site of infromation I can use, Does anyone know any, Thanks
Check the Wiki. It's pretty good. For the polymers, just use Google. Search something along the lines of "Polymer/fiber identification" and you should end up with plenty of information to work with. ;)
Joseph Morales12 wrote:Does anyone know what we need to have on our resource page? Just the general information.
For the general information, check the Wiki. It should give you a basic idea of what to include. I would recommend having a list of the densities of some of the more common liquids (water, ethanol, iodine, etc.), as well as the densities of all the substances mentioned in the rules. :)
MLKHS '18
MIT '22

Expectations low, hopes high
scimystery
State: NM

Post by scimystery »

Hello, I've only done Science Olympiad once and this is my second time...what exactly do you do in Crime Busters? Last year I only did Heredity and Anatomy. My partner has done it before but she's busy often, so...
scimystery

Post by scimystery »

scimystery wrote:Hello, I've only done Science Olympiad once and this is my second time...what exactly do you do in Crime Busters? Last year I only did Heredity and Anatomy. My partner has done it before but she's busy often, so...yeah, and I'm in B division.
cupcakegirl
Division: C
State: TX

Post by cupcakegirl »

scimystery wrote:Hello, I've only done Science Olympiad once and this is my second time...what exactly do you do in Crime Busters? Last year I only did Heredity and Anatomy. My partner has done it before but she's busy often, so...
Well, the best place to start would be the rules. In essence, in Crime Busters, you will be using evidence and identification of substances to solve a crime. The first part of the event is identification of unknowns- powders, liquids, and metals (look in the rules for a list) which you will need to identify by observing their reactions with HCl, Iodine, and water. Next you have hair, fiber, and plastic identification, which you will need to learn how to do. Paper chromatography, fingerprints, DNA evidence, shoeprints, tire treads, and blood spatters will make up the rest of your evidence. Once you collect all the evidence and figure out what evidence implicates who, you write an analysis of the crime basically answering "Who dun' it?"

I hope that at least kind of helped.... otherwise read the rules and the Crime Busters Wiki
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils
scimystery

Post by scimystery »

cupcakegirl wrote:
scimystery wrote:Hello, I've only done Science Olympiad once and this is my second time...what exactly do you do in Crime Busters? Last year I only did Heredity and Anatomy. My partner has done it before but she's busy often, so...
Well, the best place to start would be the rules. In essence, in Crime Busters, you will be using evidence and identification of substances to solve a crime. The first part of the event is identification of unknowns- powders, liquids, and metals (look in the rules for a list) which you will need to identify by observing their reactions with HCl, Iodine, and water. Next you have hair, fiber, and plastic identification, which you will need to learn how to do. Paper chromatography, fingerprints, DNA evidence, shoeprints, tire treads, and blood spatters will make up the rest of your evidence. Once you collect all the evidence and figure out what evidence implicates who, you write an analysis of the crime basically answering "Who dun' it?"

I hope that at least kind of helped.... otherwise read the rules and the Crime Busters Wiki
Thanks!
Joseph Morales12
State: NY

Post by Joseph Morales12 »

What is HCI
cupcakegirl
Division: C
State: TX

Post by cupcakegirl »

Joseph Morales12 wrote:What is HCI
Hydrochloric acid. In Crime Busters, we use 1 molar HCl.
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils
percyjackson2014
State: WA

Post by percyjackson2014 »

I have been doing Crime Busters for two years now and might have some helpful tips for you! There are, powders,metals, plastics, liquids,hairs & fibers, fingerprints and blood spatters. W/ powders you have to test their reactions w/ HCL (type of acid), I2 (Iodine),Ph paper, and regular H2O (water)! You will have to ID which powder it is with the official powders list for Crime Busters. Metals you have to ID them w/HCL, a magnet and with the color of the metal. The plastics you try to ID what they are by seeing if they float or sink in H2O. With the Liquids you have to test them w/ smell and PH paper. Fingerprints you have to ID by seeing if they are one of the following, Arch, Loop, and Whorl. Blood is harder, you have to see if the person is walking then running and what the angle of the blood is falling. Hair & the fibers, you can take samples from dog,cat,human, synthetic and vegetable. You can find more about blood spatters and fibers and hairs on the Science Oly website! I hope this helps! :)
2015 Events:
Crime Busters
Entomology
Green Generation
Bio Process Lab

2014 State Results
2nd Crime Busters
3rd Entomology
6th Road Scholar

Return to “2014 Lab Events”