Crime Busters B

Gearbox
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by Gearbox »

zy__karen17 wrote:Hi! Does anybody know if it is required for the analysis to be written in complete sentences? Thanks!
It really just depends on the test. I've had some tests in which the analysis is already written for you and you just need to right in the info on what unknowns point to a suspect. I've also had tests in which they just give us a blank sheet of paper with lines on it and have us write an analysis (in complete sentences). It really just depends on the test. Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful.
2015 Events

Protein Modeling
Cell Biology
Disease Detectives
Chem Lab

Cheese_Muffin_Man

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

So a couple of my friends in B division have a question. Can anyone differentiate between inconclusive and circumstantial evidence?
ak12
Division: B
State: PA

Post by ak12 »

Circumstantial evidence is a piece of evidence that points a finger towards someone or a group of people, but does not prove anyone's guilt, while inconclusive evidence is evidence that does not even incriminate anyone. For example, a janitor's fingerprint on a door handle of a school after hours is inconclusive, since the janitor had every right to be in the school after-hours. Meanwhile, if a student's fingerprint was found there after-hours, it would by circumstantial. On a completely different note, does anyone have a definite way to distinguish how many and which powders are in a mixture of two or three?
2013 States: Exp Des-3rd, Road-5th
2014 States: Exp Design-3rd
2014 Nats: Crime-5th, WIDI-9th, Exp Des-10th
2015 States: Crime-2nd, Disease-2nd, Exp Des-1st
2016 Nats: Bio-Process-1st, WIDI-6th, Exp Des-10th, Crime-11th
cupcakegirl
State: TX

Post by cupcakegirl »

ak12 wrote:Circumstantial evidence is a piece of evidence that points a finger towards someone or a group of people, but does not prove anyone's guilt, while inconclusive evidence is evidence that does not even incriminate anyone. For example, a janitor's fingerprint on a door handle of a school after hours is inconclusive, since the janitor had every right to be in the school after-hours. Meanwhile, if a student's fingerprint was found there after-hours, it would by circumstantial. On a completely different note, does anyone have a definite way to distinguish how many and which powders are in a mixture of two or three?
Honestly, I think it truly depends on the person. I have found that if you just slow down and really look at both the powder sample and the reactions, you can kind of tell what parts are reacting and such. The only thing I can say with this event is practice, practice, practice. Close to nats, I focused on taking powders tests comprised solely of mixtures and I think it was beneficial. Turned out pretty well I guess (got 4th at nats).
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils
sdbg
Division: B
State: CA

Post by sdbg »

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time coaching a Science Olympiad team. Can anyone share the last test (2014) or links to some good resources for this subject?

Appreciate any help,
Thanks in advance.
cupcakegirl
State: TX

Post by cupcakegirl »

sdbg wrote:Hello Everyone,

This is my first time coaching a Science Olympiad team. Can anyone share the last test (2014) or links to some good resources for this subject?

Appreciate any help,
Thanks in advance.
If you're referring to the 2014 National test, no one has it yet, but it will be available for purchase sometime in the fall I believe, usually at about the same time as the rules. If you're looking for some good resources, I would recommend starting with the Crime Busters Wiki and the Crime Busters page on soinc.org, which is actually one of the most helpful event pages from soinc (at least in my opinion). If you get the supplies for your team and provide a few helpful pushes along the way, they should do great.

Thanks for agreeing to coach someone! :)
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils

Return to “2014 Lab Events”