Metric Mastery B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Metric Mastery B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
MustangSciOly11
Division: B
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by MustangSciOly11 »

Anyone know if Metric Mastery will come back for its 3rd year in 2015? Anyone know the rotation plan?
mrburrito
State: TN

Post by mrburrito »

Getting a bit ahead of yourself aren't you? I am pretty sure it's coming back next year, if it stays true to past habits.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

mrburrito wrote:Getting a bit ahead of yourself aren't you? I am pretty sure it's coming back next year, if it stays true to past habits.
Most events tend to be on 2 year cycles. I wouldn't bet on it returning next year, but you never know what might change. We don't lock down the event rotations until the summer.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
MustangSciOly11
State: CA

Post by MustangSciOly11 »

chalker wrote:
mrburrito wrote:Getting a bit ahead of yourself aren't you? I am pretty sure it's coming back next year, if it stays true to past habits.
Most events tend to be on 2 year cycles. I wouldn't bet on it returning next year, but you never know what might change. We don't lock down the event rotations until the summer.

Thank you so much. Seems easy but always hard for students to master! Nice changes on the new rules!
awesome90220
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

For the metric conversion part, its just KHDUDCM, right?
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
roz_m
State: OH

Post by roz_m »

Does anyone have any good recourses for metric mastery? I have basic information but I want to get more into the history of the metric system.
mrburrito
State: TN

Post by mrburrito »

roz_m wrote:Does anyone have any good recourses for metric mastery? I have basic information but I want to get more into the history of the metric system.
Yes, rulers and triple beam balances. :D
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

roz_m wrote:Does anyone have any good recourses for metric mastery? I have basic information but I want to get more into the history of the metric system.
A wikipedia article probably has all you need for the history part. Who knows what you'll encounter at tournaments, but last year our MM team had very little history last year

Other good resources are ... your kitchen and garage and such. What is the area of your bathroom mirror? Measure it and write it in dry erase marker right on the mirror so that each morning when you brush your teeth, you see that number. Look at cans and bottles in the kitchen. Feel their mass, measure their volumes, calculate their surface areas. How about that marble or golf ball? Use a paper and put a few points on it and estimate the distance between A and B. Make an angle and guess it. Get an outdoor thermometer and step outside, estimate the temperature and then check the thermometer.

Have fun!
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
Bozongle
State: IN

Post by Bozongle »

Even after going through your tips hscmom, I am still kind of stuck on how to prepare for competition. At competition it seems to be much more difficult than simple estimation and measurement. How do I prepare for things like: A disc with multiple holes, of different sizes, and find the area of one of the circles? Or estimate the temperature of a container of water in a hot room with huge amounts of people inside? It seems that even if you prepare and practice a lot, it's almost impossible to know how you will do at competition. Any help?

Return to “2014 Lab Events”