Metric Mastery B

GoofyFoofer
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by GoofyFoofer »

John Richardsim wrote:
GoofyFoofer wrote:In the SoCal state competition, the tester people messed up the test, so they didn't count that event in the awards. I was gonna win, too! :(
Don't worry, you'll always be a winner in my book. How did they mess up the test?
They put out rulers when we were supposed to estimate. :(
Smith Middle School
Dayton, OH
awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL
Been thanked: 0

Post by awesome90220 »

GoofyFoofer wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:
GoofyFoofer wrote:In the SoCal state competition, the tester people messed up the test, so they didn't count that event in the awards. I was gonna win, too! :(
Don't worry, you'll always be a winner in my book. How did they mess up the test?
They put out rulers when we were supposed to estimate. :(
See, not as bad as our state, who put estimation and measurement on the same paper
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

awesome90220 wrote: See, not as bad as our state, who put estimation and measurement on the same paper
I may have already said this, but I'll say it again; our state used the customary system for some of them. That is the most blatant rule-breaking I have ever seen.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Unome wrote:
awesome90220 wrote: See, not as bad as our state, who put estimation and measurement on the same paper
I may have already said this, but I'll say it again; our state used the customary system for some of them. That is the most blatant rule-breaking I have ever seen.
What!?!? How did they...who...how...why...
GoofyFoofer
State: OH

Post by GoofyFoofer »

Picture This is replacing Metric Mastery, right?
Smith Middle School
Dayton, OH
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Sciolapedia wrote:Also, I doubt that most of the teams remembered to use significant figures on part 2 when they were multiplying and dividing numbers. ;)
Our two were drilled on sig figs, including multiplying. Lots of practice and they were nailing it before Nat's and I am assuming that they did the sig figs right at Nats and that other teams did too. It's too easy of a skill to learn and master not to.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

knittingfrenzy18 wrote:The National event wasn't ridiculous, but I do hope they were being nice and consistent with the water too, making sure that it was re-calibrated/re-measured each period, and since they didn't have us go over the same objects (though identical, they weren't exactly the same), I hope they judged each of part 1 and part 2 by the objects in the respective rooms.

But yeah, it was pretty organized. It was sort of like that at States, and I'm pretty sure it couldn't get much better.

Was it just me, or part 2 and 3 of Metric Mastery in general are pretty hard to screw up? Anyone who spends 2 hours on MM can probably get an A or A+ on any part 2 and 3.

Anyways, I'm glad I got to know a very important part of standard science these days, and I'm so pumped for Picture This next year. My sister and I are psychic. :D
I have never been able to suceed in part 2 (And that usually determines whether we get a 1st or a 36th :P)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Unome wrote: I have never been able to suceed in part 2 (And that usually determines whether we get a 1st or a 36th :P)
Ugh - when we first worked on MM, it seems like we concentrated on the estimation and I sort of left the measurement out, assuming they were "doing it right." Then, I discovered they were NOT being careful on measuring. They'd put the ruler down and somehow scoot it over a little this way or that and zero would be in the wrong place. Oh well. So, we drilled that too. And made sure they knew formulae such as volume of sphere, surface area of a pyramid, etc. I think sometimes the teams would put all their effort into estimation but then goof up the measurement.

Well, I guess none of the Metric Masters out there really need to worry about this as they'll all be out of B division before it comes back again.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008

Return to “2014 Lab Events”