Metric Mastery B

Pele
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by Pele »

hscmom wrote:
Unome wrote:Does anyone know any good methods for estimating mass?
IMO, Mass is more difficult than length and volume. One very simple thing we did is to collect different household things (a can of soup, a pack of index cards, a shoe - you get the idea) and stick them on the scale and write the mass in Sharpie.

Then practice. Heft your mass the same way each time (in other words, if you don't rest your hefting elbow on a table today, don't rest it on there tomorrow).
Agreed. Practice is key.
awesome90220
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

Hey for guessing weight, I've realized that when surface area on your hand is smaller, you'll feel more pressure, meaning you'll feel its heavier. Is there a way to negate this?
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
billyhoho
Division: C
State: CA

Post by billyhoho »

awesome90220 wrote:Hey for guessing weight, I've realized that when surface area on your hand is smaller, you'll feel more pressure, meaning you'll feel its heavier. Is there a way to negate this?
You actually want to make it "feel heavier" since that'll make it the most accurate. By minimizing surface area, you're allowing the calculation of the total weight to be more accurate (since otherwise, it would be "spread" along the whole hand/whatever, making objects seem to weigh less).
Death solves all problems - no man, no problem. You cannot make a revolution with silk gloves. Gratitude is a sickness suffered by dogs.
awesome90220
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

billyhoho wrote:
awesome90220 wrote:Hey for guessing weight, I've realized that when surface area on your hand is smaller, you'll feel more pressure, meaning you'll feel its heavier. Is there a way to negate this?
You actually want to make it "feel heavier" since that'll make it the most accurate. By minimizing surface area, you're allowing the calculation of the total weight to be more accurate (since otherwise, it would be "spread" along the whole hand/whatever, making objects seem to weigh less).
Well, what if it's like a cube? Say you used a dice as your reference, and it was, say, 1 gram. Then, at the competition, they give you a big foam dice and ask you to estimate the weight. It seems like, uh, I don't know, maybe 10 grams? But then, if you're doing measurement, you get it to be like 80 grams and you're like: AW MAN D:
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Well, if a die is your only reference, it's going to be tough. You should have a few mass references. So, is that foam die more like a plastic die, a Hershey's kiss, a quarter, a paper plate, a hairbrush, a full roll of TP? You get the idea. You put something in your hand and think, "This feels heavier than a cell phone but lighter than a grapefruit." And, just by looking at it, you'll know a few things too. So, you've got you foam die in your hand. While it's about the volume of a kiwi fruit, it's a lot less dense, so you use the kiwi fruit's mass as the upper limit and you know you're nowhere close to it. So, you guess much lower.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
bzc11
State: PA

Post by bzc11 »

Hi, my partner and I got 1st in metric mastery at regionals, but we're worried that we don't know enough metric unit conversions. Is there a good/reliable link for that? (So we can spend our remaining days memorizing). Thanks!!
My first year doing Science Olympiad!! Love it! :D
Regionals (2014): Metric Mastery-1st
Sounds of Music-1st
Shock Value-4th
States (2014): Metric Mastery-3rd
Astroknight
Division: C
State: TN

Post by Astroknight »

Um..... Wikipedia would be a good place to start.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

bzc11 wrote:Hi, my partner and I got 1st in metric mastery at regionals, but we're worried that we don't know enough metric unit conversions. Is there a good/reliable link for that? (So we can spend our remaining days memorizing). Thanks!!
By "metric unit conversions" do you mean English to metric or metric to metric? I don't think our kids ever had to do English to metric conversions but they found it helpful to know metric-to-metric. They memorized metric prefixes and they also knew the general relationships between units. So, a gram of water is 1 cc or 1 ml (at 20C). And it's good to know that a kilogram is roughly 10 newtons. A newton is about the weight a smaller scientific calculator minus its cover or a new larger size roll of TP and it's a bit more than a pair of safety goggles.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

hscmom wrote: By "metric unit conversions" do you mean English to metric or metric to metric? I don't think our kids ever had to do English to metric conversions but they found it helpful to know metric-to-metric. They memorized metric prefixes and they also knew the general relationships between units. So, a gram of water is 1 cc or 1 ml (at 20C). And it's good to know that a kilogram is roughly 10 newtons. A newton is about the weight a smaller scientific calculator minus its cover or a new larger size roll of TP and it's a bit more than a pair of safety goggles.
It should be metric to metric. Rule 3ciii says they have to convert "metric numbers to a specific different metric unit", and forbids conversions to other systems.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

JustDroobles wrote:
hscmom wrote: By "metric unit conversions" do you mean English to metric or metric to metric? I don't think our kids ever had to do English to metric conversions but they found it helpful to know metric-to-metric. They memorized metric prefixes and they also knew the general relationships between units. So, a gram of water is 1 cc or 1 ml (at 20C). And it's good to know that a kilogram is roughly 10 newtons. A newton is about the weight a smaller scientific calculator minus its cover or a new larger size roll of TP and it's a bit more than a pair of safety goggles.
It should be metric to metric. Rule 3ciii says they have to convert "metric numbers to a specific different metric unit", and forbids conversions to other systems.
Yeah... the state supervisor made us estimate some of them in inches...
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2014 Lab Events”