Metric Mastery B

User avatar
billyhoho
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: November 12th, 2012, 5:13 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Somewhere where you can't see Dorado, or the Large Magellanic Cloud.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by billyhoho » December 2nd, 2013, 10:57 pm

Honestly, I would remember to use VERY unused measurements... because you'll use them. Also, try to be better with the smaller units, so if you convert it up you're closer to the margin of error than say if you converted down from meters to centimeters and the such.
Death solves all problems - no man, no problem. You cannot make a revolution with silk gloves. Gratitude is a sickness suffered by dogs.

hscmom
Coach
Coach
Posts: 244
Joined: March 3rd, 2010, 8:41 pm
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Location: Colorado
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by hscmom » December 3rd, 2013, 12:27 pm

billyhoho wrote:Honestly, I would remember to use VERY unused measurements... because you'll use them. Also, try to be better with the smaller units, so if you convert it up you're closer to the margin of error than say if you converted down from meters to centimeters and the such.
The "very unused" you want to focus on are metric units! No hogsheads or slugs or whatever.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008

awesome90220
Member
Member
Posts: 158
Joined: March 10th, 2012, 5:19 pm
Division: B
State: AL
Location: somewhere on this cruel, harsh planet
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by awesome90220 » December 3rd, 2013, 4:57 pm

So I went to an invitationals, and the 5 metric conversion problems were more complicated than meters, cm, mm, km, etc. So my question is, what should we expect for regionals in our conversions? Just the simple khdudcm, or terra, giga and that stuff/periods(in frequency),etc.?
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20

User avatar
billyhoho
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: November 12th, 2012, 5:13 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Somewhere where you can't see Dorado, or the Large Magellanic Cloud.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by billyhoho » December 3rd, 2013, 7:56 pm

hscmom wrote:
billyhoho wrote:Honestly, I would remember to use VERY unused measurements... because you'll use them. Also, try to be better with the smaller units, so if you convert it up you're closer to the margin of error than say if you converted down from meters to centimeters and the such.
The "very unused" you want to focus on are metric units! No hogsheads or slugs or whatever.

^ True :mrgreen: But the Imperial system is also used.
Death solves all problems - no man, no problem. You cannot make a revolution with silk gloves. Gratitude is a sickness suffered by dogs.

User avatar
billyhoho
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: November 12th, 2012, 5:13 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Somewhere where you can't see Dorado, or the Large Magellanic Cloud.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by billyhoho » December 3rd, 2013, 8:01 pm

Honestly, I think invitationals are run better than regionals (at least for how it is in Division B). Thus, invitationals will be a bit harder. However, be sure to expect even more complex measurements beyond km, cm, and mm. However, it's usually the smaller measurements. Unless they put a proportion or something I don't think they'd be able to ask for gigameters or something :lol: . You never know, though. Just think about it though. This is regionals. If it was nationals, they might get random things you've NEVER seen before, but with regionals you might be able to find everything at your house.
Death solves all problems - no man, no problem. You cannot make a revolution with silk gloves. Gratitude is a sickness suffered by dogs.

User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 3181
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: At work trying to be a real adult
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 172 times
Contact:

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » December 3rd, 2013, 8:13 pm

billyhoho wrote:
hscmom wrote:
billyhoho wrote:Honestly, I would remember to use VERY unused measurements... because you'll use them. Also, try to be better with the smaller units, so if you convert it up you're closer to the margin of error than say if you converted down from meters to centimeters and the such.
The "very unused" you want to focus on are metric units! No hogsheads or slugs or whatever.

^ True :mrgreen: But the Imperial system is also used.
Er... sorry if the rules have changed since I last did Metric in 2008, but... isn't the point of the event that the units are supposed to be, well... metric? Meaning that supervisors really shouldn't use imperial units...
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

User avatar
billyhoho
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: November 12th, 2012, 5:13 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Somewhere where you can't see Dorado, or the Large Magellanic Cloud.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by billyhoho » December 3rd, 2013, 9:18 pm

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote: Er... sorry if the rules have changed since I last did Metric in 2008, but... isn't the point of the event that the units are supposed to be, well... metric? Meaning that supervisors really shouldn't use imperial units...
"Supposed to" lol and "shouldn't" but when your proctor is accustomed to imperial units... especially being in the US, you're going to see a few... scattered, but a few questions like that. I doubt they'd do stuff like that at nats though... more regionals
Death solves all problems - no man, no problem. You cannot make a revolution with silk gloves. Gratitude is a sickness suffered by dogs.

User avatar
treeling
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 1:21 pm
Division: C
State: CO
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by treeling » December 4th, 2013, 2:54 pm

Beastybob12345 wrote:
Oh, and just a question, we're not allowed to touch ANYTHING during the competition right? This is my first year doing Metric.

Thanks
In the rules it say "competitors must be allowed to heft" so with mass and weight objects we are going to be allowed to touch those.
2016 Scores
PMS Inv/Reg/State

Bio-Process 2/1/5
Disease 2/1/1
Invasive 1/1/1
Mission Possible -/1/1
Picture This 2/1/3


2017 Scores
Reg/State

Disease -/-
Invasive -/-
Robot Arm -/-
WIDI -/-

User avatar
billyhoho
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: November 12th, 2012, 5:13 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Somewhere where you can't see Dorado, or the Large Magellanic Cloud.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by billyhoho » December 4th, 2013, 8:44 pm

treeling wrote:
Beastybob12345 wrote:
Oh, and just a question, we're not allowed to touch ANYTHING during the competition right? This is my first year doing Metric.

Thanks
In the rules it say "competitors must be allowed to heft" so with mass and weight objects we are going to be allowed to touch those.
Honestly that's also common sense... I don't think you'd be expected to memorize densities for middle school >.>. Especially of EVERYTHING...
Death solves all problems - no man, no problem. You cannot make a revolution with silk gloves. Gratitude is a sickness suffered by dogs.

AAHALD01
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: December 9th, 2013, 6:08 pm
Division: B
State: KY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by AAHALD01 » December 10th, 2013, 5:54 pm

Does anybody know a really good ways to study for Metric Mastery? Also, what are some excellent resources to use to study?

Locked

Return to “2014 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest