bzc11
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Metric Mastery B

Post by bzc11 » May 6th, 2014, 1:03 pm

^WHAT???
anyways, our state tournament was 5 days ago, and I got 3rd in metric mastery...At the last minute I found a REALLY good website. If I can find it again (Didn't bookmark it :roll: ) I'll post it here.
My first year doing Science Olympiad!! Love it! :D
Regionals (2014): Metric Mastery-1st
Sounds of Music-1st
Shock Value-4th
States (2014): Metric Mastery-3rd

Sciolapedia
Division: C

Post by Sciolapedia » May 7th, 2014, 6:49 am

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/prefixes.html

This is a good link for metric conversions. There are a lot (goes from -24 to 24) but it keeps you prepared in case a proctor gets tricky. I personally haven't seen anything below pico and above giga.

Toms_42
Division: Grad

Post by Toms_42 » May 19th, 2014, 6:06 am

bzc11 wrote:Hi, my partner and I got 1st in metric mastery at regionals, but we're worried that we don't know enough metric unit conversions. Is there a good/reliable link for that? (So we can spend our remaining days memorizing). Thanks!!
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=metric+prefixes

sturmde
State: ME

Post by sturmde » May 19th, 2014, 6:24 am

MustangSciOly11 wrote:Anyone know if Metric Mastery will come back for its 3rd year in 2015? Anyone know the rotation plan?
Metric Mastery rotates off in 2015. Coming in place will be the return of "Picture This".

Toms_42

Post by Toms_42 » May 19th, 2014, 6:59 am

sturmde wrote:
MustangSciOly11 wrote:Anyone know if Metric Mastery will come back for its 3rd year in 2015? Anyone know the rotation plan?
Metric Mastery rotates off in 2015. Coming in place will be the return of "Picture This".
Picture This is literally charades...

Sciolapedia

Post by Sciolapedia » May 19th, 2014, 4:58 pm

Toms_42 wrote:
sturmde wrote:
Picture This is literally charades...
Pictionary . . .

awesome90220
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 » May 19th, 2014, 5:14 pm

Well, honestly, though I've never done picture this before, I think that eventually, at a national level, you'll have to know a lot about just general science. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I feel like Metric Mastery is just as, for lack of a better word, "bad". Alot of the event is based on literal guessing. While it does provide a good study ethic and teach you many formulas and prefixes, I just don't see any field of science requiring that much guessing. Please don't take this offensively if this comes off as hate for those who love Metric Mastery.
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20

Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ » May 19th, 2014, 5:36 pm

did anyone else find the nationals metric event ridiculous? i mean they made you estimate the temperature of water TWICE and the results were DIFFERENT! Like thats ridiculous cuz the temp changes... and there were some other really dumb stations. Also the lego thing with '20' on it had more blocks on it for the measurement portion than on the estimation part.
Innovation =/= success

Voltage
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MD

Post by Voltage » May 19th, 2014, 5:52 pm

Bazinga+ wrote:did anyone else find the nationals metric event ridiculous? i mean they made you estimate the temperature of water TWICE and the results were DIFFERENT! Like thats ridiculous cuz the temp changes... and there were some other really dumb stations. Also the lego thing with '20' on it had more blocks on it for the measurement portion than on the estimation part.
I didn't find the event extremely ridiculous. It wasn't as hard as expected (the previous Metric Mastery person said something about way too many estimations per station and everyone bombing the event last year). I didn't notice that one lego block had more legos than the other, though it is plausible that such a mistake occurred. I do find the thing about the water slightly over the top. (How do they get the water in the estimation and measurement room to be the same? Doesn't the temperature of the water change over the course of the day?).
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin and Hobbes, Bill Watterson

I got my quote from a comic book. Tells you a lot about me, doesn't it?

awesome90220
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 » May 19th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Voltage wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:did anyone else find the nationals metric event ridiculous? i mean they made you estimate the temperature of water TWICE and the results were DIFFERENT! Like thats ridiculous cuz the temp changes... and there were some other really dumb stations. Also the lego thing with '20' on it had more blocks on it for the measurement portion than on the estimation part.
I didn't find the event extremely ridiculous. It wasn't as hard as expected (the previous Metric Mastery person said something about way too many estimations per station and everyone bombing the event last year). I didn't notice that one lego block had more legos than the other, though it is plausible that such a mistake occurred. I do find the thing about the water slightly over the top. (How do they get the water in the estimation and measurement room to be the same? Doesn't the temperature of the water change over the course of the day?).
I don't know if this clashes with some of the rules, but can't there just be different precise answers for both measurement and estimation?
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20

Return to “2014 Lab Events”