Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Phys1cs
Division: Grad
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Shock Value B/Circuit Lab C

Post by Phys1cs »

for 13, there is an equation for a charging capacitor with respect to voltage.
V=Vo (1-e^(-t/RC)), or
voltage at a given time= original voltage (1-e^(-time given/(resistance*capacitance)))

plug in the given values to get
37=100(1-e^(-2/(1E-5*X)))
and solve for X. that's the resistance, and the answer would be, yes, B
Bozongle
Division: B
State: IN

Post by Bozongle »

Is it just me, or is the the difficulty of the topics covered in Circuit Lab much steeper than in Shock Value? I basically have everything nailed for shock value, but I've been trying to dive deeper into Circuit Lab for any tough problems I might come into at harder competitions, and it just seems to so much harder to understand.

I understand basic concepts such as Kirchhoff's Laws, but when applying them to a circuit, it just goes downhill from there. Any tips on understanding Circuit Lab topics coming from Shock Value?
Phys1cs
Division: Grad
State: MD

Post by Phys1cs »

I went through that same thing last year.

There were two things I did last year that really helped. One is to talk to your AP (or a really really smart physics teacher) physics teacher. Ususally AP teachers work better because things like Norton and Thevenin aren't taught in AP physics, even, but they usually know them. So talk to a physics teacher, see if they're willing to teach you. It's always seemed for me to be easiest to learn from someone else ( I had a 1 on 1 situation) rather than just researching random facts and hoping they're correct.

The second thing that I did was I looked at my library for an amazing circuits book. The one I found was called Grobs Basic Electronics and it covers everything you need to know for circuits in div C. I still, monthly, go to my library to return and re check out this book. I have been the only one to check it out in two years (but luckily no one else really wants a circuits textbook)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 2483053954

Hope this helps!
Bozongle

Post by Bozongle »

Just came back from New Albany yesterday... Ended up getting 4th in shock which I hate...

Overall the test was easy, although there were a few tough problems I thought I might have gotten wrong. Ended up getting 10 points off, 6 of which we're STUPID mistakes. (I thought 12/120 is 10 -.-)
I honestly wish I double checked my test but didn't have too much time, oh well.
ThatRoboGuy
Division: C
State: OH

Post by ThatRoboGuy »

Bozongle wrote:Just came back from New Albany yesterday... Ended up getting 4th in shock which I hate...

Overall the test was easy, although there were a few tough problems I thought I might have gotten wrong. Ended up getting 10 points off, 6 of which we're STUPID mistakes. (I thought 12/120 is 10 -.-)
I honestly wish I double checked my test but didn't have too much time, oh well.
The test for Shock at Case was 17 questions long. 12 written, 5 hands on, and of the written portion, only one circuit was presented.
Here to help
Bozongle

Post by Bozongle »

ThatRoboGuy wrote:
Bozongle wrote:Just came back from New Albany yesterday... Ended up getting 4th in shock which I hate...

The test for Shock at Case was 17 questions long. 12 written, 5 hands on, and of the written portion, only one circuit was presented.
Test at New Albany was I believe 65 questions and 4 stations of hands on. 2 circuits presented
Your test was similar to my regional, 8 questions, one hands on
meteorology125

Post by meteorology125 »

I thought the New Albany test was easy, too. It seemed to be a good test that covered all the topics though.
2015 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Crave the Wave, Entomology, Meteorology, Picture This, Road Scholar, and Simple Machines
tsinzitari

Post by tsinzitari »

meteorology125 wrote:

I thought the New Albany test was easy, too. It seemed to be a good test that covered all the topics though.

Yeah I thought it was easy, I got 9th I missed 23 :/ I had alot of just stupid mistakes and I messed up the multimeter lab (It was checking resistance of my body)
Bozongle

Post by Bozongle »

tsinzitari wrote:
meteorology125 wrote:

Yeah I thought it was easy, I got 9th I missed 23 :/ I had alot of just stupid mistakes and I messed up the multimeter lab (It was checking resistance of my body)
It seems like it was really close between placements for shock value if you got 9th and only got 13 more points off.
I really messed up the station where you had to put 3 bulbs in parallel and find the smallest resistor. I didn't notice you had to find the smallest resistor until there were like 15 seconds left.

That test was basically decided by the number of stupid mistakes you made :P
phil9047
State: CA

Post by phil9047 »

I heard that Circuit Lab might be disappearing next year. Is this true?
Sine functions are quite odd, to be honest.

Return to “2014 Lab Events”