the noobs
Division: B
State: AZ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by the noobs »

Allinea wrote:
the noobs wrote:Can someone help us get a grasp of what we need to do, and tips? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Have you read and re-read the rules? Have you read the wiki? Both are important to read. Or are those two sources still confusing?
Yeah, I've read them all thoroughly. I just need some tips on what it's like to BE in the actual competition, maybe some help from a past competitor.
NOOB PRIDE!!!!
silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

Besides practicing with a partner, what are some ways to help learn to write faster? My partner and I have a basic idea of how we're going to explain things such as legos, but I just take too long to put down everything I want to say even when writing as briefly as possible.

Also, how do you like to approach models that are difficult to understand? (As in one that it's very difficult to figure out how it was even connected in the first place)
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
Allinea
Division: C
State: MN

Post by Allinea »

the noobs wrote:Yeah, I've read them all thoroughly. I just need some tips on what it's like to BE in the actual competition, maybe some help from a past competitor.
Now that you've done that... BREATHE! As we say in physics class, "When in doubt, break it down into component parts!" Clarify and re-clarify, but not to the point of wasting time. Work quickly and efficiently, mentally tracking how much of the object you've written about and pacing yourself accordingly. If you have time at the end, add more details to clarify even further! I hesitate to give further, more detailed tips because there's a great many things I've worked out with my partner through practice and COMMUNICATION. Don't hesitate (to the builder) to highlight and circle confusing parts during practice runs and then discuss what was intended!

Good luck, don't hesitate to send me a message if you want some of those more detailed tips! :D
2013-2014 Season: [Boyceville/Conference/River Falls/Regions/State]
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Rollercoaster[3/-/12/2/x]
Sustainability[12/-/7/-/-]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

When explaining dimmensions (ex. 3x6) does the "x" need to be defined?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Not a bad idea to just put "by (x)" the first time you use it or define it at the top. If I were judging I probably wouldn't even notice :D but I would hate for someone to get docked for such a simple thing...
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
DazzlingMer

Post by DazzlingMer »

silverheart7 wrote:When explaining dimmensions (ex. 3x6) does the "x" need to be defined?
You shouldn't really need to, I mean it's pretty commonly used to the point that it's silly if you don't know what it means.

For those who want to know, there's two "types" of runs. One is insanely complicated and the goal is to get as much right as possible, the other being something really simple with the goal being to get it done as fast as possible.

Don't hesitate to raise your hand if you drop something or are done early. One time there was a bunch of beads and when I dumped the bag out a bunch went rolling all the way across the room... ooppss...
The EARTH without ART is just EH...
Bungee [13/x/x/x/6]
WIDI [2/x/6/2/2]
Circuit Lab [x/x/x/5/x]

State Champ. Forestry 2012
Regional Champ. Forestry 2013
State Runner-Up Forestry 2013
Regional Runner-up WIDI 2014
State Runner-up WIDI 2014
Allinea

Post by Allinea »

DazzlingMer wrote:One time there was a bunch of beads and when I dumped the bag out a bunch went rolling all the way across the room... ooppss...
When was that? Was that River Falls or State two years ago?

I agree, though. You either get the insanely complex builds are the ones where you need to focus more on connections. We don't talk about the catepillar from two years ago.
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]
DazzlingMer

Post by DazzlingMer »

Allinea wrote:
DazzlingMer wrote:One time there was a bunch of beads and when I dumped the bag out a bunch went rolling all the way across the room... ooppss...
When was that? Was that River Falls or State two years ago?

I agree, though. You either get the insanely complex builds are the ones where you need to focus more on connections. We don't talk about the catepillar from two years ago.
it was the caterpillar
The EARTH without ART is just EH...
Bungee [13/x/x/x/6]
WIDI [2/x/6/2/2]
Circuit Lab [x/x/x/5/x]

State Champ. Forestry 2012
Regional Champ. Forestry 2013
State Runner-Up Forestry 2013
Regional Runner-up WIDI 2014
State Runner-up WIDI 2014
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

I know some people prefer to write one large paragraph, but my partner and I have been using numbered steps so far. I find this helpful, because I can refer back to a piece I described earlier if I need to. Or do you think this takes up too much time?

Also, is labeling each line

And so on, acceptable? Or is that not allowed?

Allinea

Post by Allinea »

silverheart7 wrote:I know some people prefer to write one large paragraph, but my partner and I have been using numbered steps so far. I find this helpful, because I can refer back to a piece I described earlier if I need to. Or do you think this takes up too much time?

Also, is labeling each line

And so on, acceptable? Or is that not allowed?
As far as I'm aware, it's allowed because of the whole shift key rule. Personally, I prefer not to number because my sister and I have an understanding that we move between parts and if I refer back to something I clearly mention when I'm transitioning between areas and transitioning back to where I was. In general, I prefer to save the time I would be using numbering for clarifications at the end.
DazzlingMer wrote:it was the caterpillar
I thought so.
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]

Return to “2014 Lab Events”