Write It Do It B/C

mz9712
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by mz9712 »

Are students allowed to use foreign languages as long as english letters are used? Specifically, pinyin (letter combinations that represent chinese characters). Would this be considered as "code"?
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

I believe they have to be characters that you can make with a single keystroke (+ shift) on a standard keyboard. So I'd stay way way far away from that.

EDIT: (to the post below me): Ah, right, I missed that part. Apparently I can't read. But I agree with FlavorFlav, I'd still stay far away from it.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

As the OP said, pinyin is a transliteration system using standard English letter. The problem is, the supervisor would have no idea what you were saying in Chinese and so would have no way of knowing that it wasn't a code. I think that you would almost certainly be DQed for that.
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MD

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

A question I sent into soinc.org but I haven't got answered yet: Is is okay to concatenate abbreviations? For example, if I define that N = north, and W = west, can I say NW and mean northwest, and still be valid?
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

I don't think there would be any problem with that. If there are, you could just add a space or an ampersand in there.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SOnerd »

My coach wants our WIDI team to use anatomy terms (dorsal, ventral, superior, anterior) when writing.
Any thoughts on this?
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

SOnerd wrote:My coach wants our WIDI team to use anatomy terms (dorsal, ventral, superior, anterior) when writing.
Any thoughts on this?
Well if you and your partner feel comfortable using those terms and the doer can still read the instructions and build the structure accurately, then yes you should use them. If you think you can use simple terminology and do just as well, then just use the simple terminology, it's not like you get points for being fancy... XD
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

SOnerd wrote:My coach wants our WIDI team to use anatomy terms (dorsal, ventral, superior, anterior) when writing.
Any thoughts on this?
Well, the last reply was right on ("if you are comfortable") but to me these are pretty long words so you might want to abbreviate them. I can't see writing any of these terms more than a time or two in a write up.

Then again, if you are fast writer paired with a fast reader/doer, it's no big deal.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SOnerd »

hscmom wrote: Then again, if you are fast writer paired with a fast reader/doer, it's no big deal.
I don't really see why we would want to do this instead of just writing "front" "back" "up" "down"...
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

SOnerd wrote:
hscmom wrote: Then again, if you are fast writer paired with a fast reader/doer, it's no big deal.
I don't really see why we would want to do this instead of just writing "front" "back" "up" "down"...
I don't either, but I'm not the fastest at writing. Simple terms are easier for me to keep straight, because I would be spending most of the time trying to remember what each word actually meant. During such a high stress moment too, I don't think I'd be able to. But if that's what works for you, then go for it! My partner and I used something like close/far, north/south/west/east, right/left, horizontal/vertical, and standing/flat and did well.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

Return to “2014 Lab Events”