Page 3 of 10

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Posted: December 18th, 2013, 3:11 pm
by Gemma W
I like to number steps so that I can make it clear as to what I am referring to later, ie. "the red circle from step 3". Sometimes I label certain pieces with a letter if I know I'm coming back to it later, but most of the time that's enough to clarify. Also, it helps with transitions between different parts of the structure, especially if it has tiers or some such thing.

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Posted: December 21st, 2013, 6:29 pm
by Olympus1701
jingletek wrote:In the parameters, it says that "Pieces that are connected correctly beyond the incorrect connection will be counted in the score.

No penalty will be assessed for parts that were not used."
What does this mean? what does "beyond the incorrect connection" mean?
Thanks!
Say this is the correct assembly. I've used letters to indicate a part and = to show a connecter.
Correct: A==B==C==D==E
Built: A==C==B==D==E
B and C are reversed. However, D and E are still in the correct position so they will be counted even though they are connected to an "incorrect connection"

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Posted: January 23rd, 2014, 11:38 am
by misterstealyogirl
Hi! Are we allowed to use letters as references in the write up? Like can you say: "build it so that it looks like the letter L"? Is that considered code/ drawings?

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Posted: January 23rd, 2014, 1:48 pm
by Allinea
misterstealyogirl wrote:Hi! Are we allowed to use letters as references in the write up? Like can you say: "build it so that it looks like the letter L"? Is that considered code/ drawings?
As far as I'm aware it's good. Personally, I do it a lot and I've never had problems.

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Posted: January 24th, 2014, 6:31 am
by misterstealyogirl
Allinea wrote:
misterstealyogirl wrote:Hi! Are we allowed to use letters as references in the write up? Like can you say: "build it so that it looks like the letter L"? Is that considered code/ drawings?
As far as I'm aware it's good. Personally, I do it a lot and I've never had problems.
Thanks! :D

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Posted: January 26th, 2014, 3:08 pm
by silverheart7
The Write it Do it structure at the inviational I went to yesterday was pretty difficult. I've never really had an issue with writing about Kinex, but it also had rubber bands in odd places, pipe cleaners, and a binder clip.

If pipecleaners or rubber bands are wrapped around something in a spiral, does clockwise vs. counterclockwise count? I figured it did, but there wasn't enough time to decide which way the pipecleaners twisted and write it down, so I just kept going.

Also, on legos, the bumps on the top have the word 'LEGO' written on them. Does that mattter in terms of orientation?

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Posted: January 26th, 2014, 4:34 pm
by GoldenKnight1
silverheart7 wrote:...If pipecleaners or rubber bands are wrapped around something in a spiral, does clockwise vs. counterclockwise count? I figured it did, but there wasn't enough time to decide which way the pipecleaners twisted and write it down, so I just kept going.

Also, on legos, the bumps on the top have the word 'LEGO' written on them. Does that mattter in terms of orientation?
I would always assume the way it is wrapped matters (whether it is a left-hand or right-hand staircase). The orientation of the word LEGO will rarely matter, but that is the kind of thing the Writer should think about adding at the end if they have extra time. No reason for the Writer to finish early since their phase is not part of the tie breaking process.

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Posted: January 29th, 2014, 10:20 am
by Allinea
GoldenKnight1 wrote:
silverheart7 wrote:...If pipecleaners or rubber bands are wrapped around something in a spiral, does clockwise vs. counterclockwise count? I figured it did, but there wasn't enough time to decide which way the pipecleaners twisted and write it down, so I just kept going.

Also, on legos, the bumps on the top have the word 'LEGO' written on them. Does that mattter in terms of orientation?
I would always assume the way it is wrapped matters (whether it is a left-hand or right-hand staircase). The orientation of the word LEGO will rarely matter, but that is the kind of thing the Writer should think about adding at the end if they have extra time. No reason for the Writer to finish early since their phase is not part of the tie breaking process.
I would think clockwise vs. counterclockwise is very important not only for overall correctness but, from experience, going in the opposite direction with strings/pipecleaners/etc would often screw up further parts of the build. I travel in one direction along a string/etc (knot on this, wrap down up and around this, two clockwise loops around this...knot here) and messing with direction could put the string in a different direction or end point than what is wanted.

I've never considered the "LEGO" on the bumps important enough to warrant wasting time on. A build two years ago at a regional competition was made from all LEGO and even without considering that particular orientation we medaled (or at least got very close to medaling, it was a while ago.)

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Posted: January 29th, 2014, 2:50 pm
by Bowsherman
last meet i was desribing a pattern of a line by saying a series of "U" shapes. they circled it for being a symbol. is this illegal?

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Posted: January 29th, 2014, 3:39 pm
by Gemma W
Bowsherman wrote:last meet i was desribing a pattern of a line by saying a series of "U" shapes. they circled it for being a symbol. is this illegal?
This generally depends on the judge, but a better way to phrase it would be "shaped like the letter U". That way they would know you were describing and not drawing a picture. When in doubt, you can ask the event supervisor beforehand, since it varies.