Write It Do It B/C

Paleofreakazoid
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by Paleofreakazoid »

What are some weird Write It Do It structures that you guys have been given this year? Also, does an abbreviation have to have any letters in common with the actual word (for example, could I abbreviate North as K)?
Winston Churchill Middle School, class of 2011
Mira Loma High School, class of 2015
ceg7654
Division: C

Post by ceg7654 »

At our States, we had to build with play doh, toothpicks, and tiny rubber bands. Shapes and models had to be made from the clay, and the toothpicks were stuck in and out of them, the rubber bands tied some toothpicks together.

As for the abbreviations, I'm pretty sure there's no limit to what you can use as long as it's on the qwerty keyboard. You could use the $ for something and define it and you wouldn't get DQ'ed or marked off for it.
2016 Events: Invasive Species, Fossils, Write It Do It

#TehEntoCult
ak12
Division: B
State: PA

Post by ak12 »

About how complicated can write it do it structures get? Will they ever have over 50 pieces? We aren't really sure when to stop making our builds more complicated...
2013 States: Exp Des-3rd, Road-5th
2014 States: Exp Design-3rd
2014 Nats: Crime-5th, WIDI-9th, Exp Des-10th
2015 States: Crime-2nd, Disease-2nd, Exp Des-1st
2016 Nats: Bio-Process-1st, WIDI-6th, Exp Des-10th, Crime-11th
hc1220
State: MO

Post by hc1220 »

It really depends on the coordinator. There's so little restriction on the type of structure: in all my competitions I've only seen the same material used twice. My general rule (and I think it helped us get 5th in WIDI last year) is that always make the structures twice more complicated and wacky then you think it'll be. This way, both people will think the competition structure is incredibly easy and usually no one will not finish.
2014: Ladue Middle- 8th at nats!
GoofyFoofer
State: OH

Post by GoofyFoofer »

ak12 wrote:About how complicated can write it do it structures get? Will they ever have over 50 pieces? We aren't really sure when to stop making our builds more complicated...
I would assume that in regionals, the structure is easy to build relative to state and nationals. In nationals and maybe state, there could be 50+ pieces in the structure, but I'm not sure. I was only in one WI/DI competition.
Smith Middle School
Dayton, OH
silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

GoofyFoofer wrote:
ak12 wrote:About how complicated can write it do it structures get? Will they ever have over 50 pieces? We aren't really sure when to stop making our builds more complicated...
I would assume that in regionals, the structure is easy to build relative to state and nationals. In nationals and maybe state, there could be 50+ pieces in the structure, but I'm not sure. I was only in one WI/DI competition.
At Regionals this year we had 37 pieces, and at Invitationals it was something like 27 or 28. I honestly think that it would never go much above 50 but most numbers under that would be fair game. Correct me if I'm wrong though, since I was only given the opportunity to do WIDI twice. I don't want to look horribly pretentious or something.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
ceg7654
Division: C

Post by ceg7654 »

Sometimes it's not about the number of materials, but how you're required to arrange or place them. At our States we had like... Five toothpicks, some rubber bands, and a bunch of Play Doh. It was pretty difficult for me at least, because my writer didn't specify the things I noticed should've been specified as I was building it, and I've never been the best sculptor, but it worked out okay(7th).
2016 Events: Invasive Species, Fossils, Write It Do It

#TehEntoCult
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MD

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

Wow, you guys, at our Regional and States, we never get more than around 10-15 pieces. I guess that's why our team finds it hard to attack National models.

As I blogged to myself:
The reason I love National WIDI is because the models always exemplify everything I believe should be in a model. My friends can never construct satisfactory practices :/ I think a WIDI model should be 1. well-defined and 2. hard to describe/complicated as opposed to hard to build. If a model just has a random rip across a paper, how am I supposed to tell someone how to rip the paper (cough azismith), or if there is a knot of stirrer straws I cannot even see into, how am I supposed to describe the knot (cough bearasmith)? And although TJ made a well-defined practice model for me, it was an incredibly hard-to-construct-looking card tower. I prefer complicated pieces rather than complicated building. Something that may constantly fall apart during building has got to be frustrating and doesn't help teams with the right stuff to succeed. So yeah, ILY National WIDI! :D
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
GoofyFoofer

Post by GoofyFoofer »

Well, it depends what state you're from, I guess. Maybe different states have more/less complicated structures.
Smith Middle School
Dayton, OH
GoofyFoofer

Post by GoofyFoofer »

ceg7654 wrote:Sometimes it's not about the number of materials, but how you're required to arrange or place them. At our States we had like... Five toothpicks, some rubber bands, and a bunch of Play Doh. It was pretty difficult for me at least, because my writer didn't specify the things I noticed should've been specified as I was building it, and I've never been the best sculptor, but it worked out okay(7th).
That was the one I got 4th place on! 2014 SoCal State Competition!
Smith Middle School
Dayton, OH

Return to “2014 Lab Events”