Materials Science C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Materials Science C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
a_srinivas
Division: C
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Materials Science C

Post by a_srinivas »

This should be real interesting.
technomario
State: PA

Post by technomario »

Any tips on getting the lab done in a fast concise matter because last year my partner and I didn't finish.
Henderson High School '16
Nick Luca
technomario

Post by technomario »

Wow this board is a bit barren compared to the others!
Henderson High School '16
Nick Luca
computergeek3

Post by computergeek3 »

technomario wrote:Any tips on getting the lab done in a fast concise matter because last year my partner and I didn't finish.
Divide and conquer. I'm not trying to sound sarcastic, that really is the best way to do it.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough. -Albert Einstein

Bayard Rustin Science Olympiad 2010-2014
Pittsburgh Allderdice Assistant Coach
bubbajuba
State: WA

Post by bubbajuba »

So, materials science is a lab/study event right? I read the rules and it stated that the event is 50% lab and 50% study. :shock:
Past events (2013-2014)*

Inv/Reg/State

GeoMap: 3rd, 1st, 9th
MagLev: , , 1st
Mr_Lund
State: MI

Need Some Lab Practice?

Post by Mr_Lund »

Greetings Material Scientists!

From what my team experienced last year (2013 season), Material Science seemed to be a bit of a curve ball for the coaches at invitationals. As there aren't many Material Science classes in high schools (from my experience, at least), it seemed very much that few coaches had labs that they could easily perform on the subject.

In an effort to help upgrade this, I'd like to point out the following website which I stumbled upon that has a plethora of excellent demonstrations, labs, and available kits that could be used to help practice the Material Science concepts, and/or generate a quality Material Science event at an Invitational.

The site is the American Ceramics Society website. Here is the main page: www.ceramics.org

The very useful site I found in their pages is this one: http://ceramics.org/acers-community/pre ... d-lab-kits

That site contains labs, teacher notes, discussion questions for each one, and more. The kits are available to purchase, however, many of the labs if you read through them involve materials that could easily be purchased at your local Meijer or Walmart. Some other materials are rather affordable through amazon or ebay. I've already in one day purchased the materials to complete four of these labs.

In a hope to keep this trend going, if you have any online resources that have been helpful, posting them would be a very appreciated form of a "thank you".

Students, bug your coaches to get the materials to do these labs/demos! It will be a great help!

Ever Forward,

Mr. Lund
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -- Carl Sagan

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." -- Richard Feynman
sci3ntist
State: TX

Post by sci3ntist »

At our last tournament there was only a test. Is that supposed to happen?
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

That does not seem to be the intent of the rules, but I suspect it happens quite frequently, especially if the tournament was an invitational.

It's difficult to find decent labs that can be run at tournaments with the equipment found in most high school labs.
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

On that note, do any national folks here know who maintains this page? http://mypage.iu.edu/~lwoz/socrime/Modu ... iments.htm

It's the site linked as "resources for event supervisors" on soinc.org, but many of these are quite frankly terrible suggestions or are a very poor demonstration of the concepts they are trying to illustrate.

Return to “2014 Lab Events”