Materials Science C

teaforterry
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Materials Science C

Post by teaforterry »

Does anyone know exactly what kinds of propeware we could possibly be asked to use?
alwaysphonehome
State: IL

Post by alwaysphonehome »

I was looking over the event sheet and was trying to figure out what they meant by Surface Area/Volume Ratio. I know that it can deal with biology (cells) and chemistry (reaction rates and such), but what exactly do we need to know in terms of Materials Science? Is there a specific relationship we need to know? Thanks in advance!
rodowd
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by rodowd »

At our regional competition there were no traditional "labs", but lab concepts needed to be used in the test to make sense of the information given. I guess it depends on the supervisor and what they want to do
rodowd

Post by rodowd »

Anyone else take the mat sci test at northeast pa regionals? My team did okay but I felt that the test was both difficult and weirdly made. Thoughts on this or other tests?
rodowd

Post by rodowd »

Alwaysphonehome, I think you have the gist of the surface/volume stuff. The only other common application I'm familiar with is with engineering and how mass increases at a different rate than area so you need to take that into account when building things. Hope that helps! And sorry for all the consecutive posts... :roll:
GeekLogan
State: ND

Post by GeekLogan »

Even though a lot of people have said this event is an equalizer, I would like to disagree. I am a senior doing this year and almost all of the subjects covered in the event, with a few key exceptions. Crystal structures was covered in AP Chem, the physical characteristics and tests were covered in AP Physics (except for a few of the state/national only topics), etc.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

GeekLogan wrote:Even though a lot of people have said this event is an equalizer, I would like to disagree. I am a senior doing this year and almost all of the subjects covered in the event, with a few key exceptions. Crystal structures was covered in AP Chem, the physical characteristics and tests were covered in AP Physics (except for a few of the state/national only topics), etc.
That might be an outlier, because I learned none of this material in AP Chem, and our school did not have AP Physics (and I didn't know stress/strain etc. was covered in AP Physics). Even if some people have the material covered in their classes, that seems like the vast minority of people in Science Olympiad.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
TheWriter

Post by TheWriter »

Does anyone have any good charts describing atomic crystal structure? If so, could you send me a link?
rodowd

Post by rodowd »

I think the pictures I have are from Wikipedia? I used explanations from other sites but I liked the Wikipedia diagrams
GeekLogan

Post by GeekLogan »

rodowd wrote:I think the pictures I have are from Wikipedia? I used explanations from other sites but I liked the Wikipedia diagrams
I used diagrams from an introductory colleges textbook, I would post them but I don't want to violate copywrite rules.

Return to “2014 Lab Events”