Anatomy B/C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Anatomy B/C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
vennowsah
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy B/C

Post by vennowsah »

So excited to start this event!
Any recommendations for resources on the integumentary system? The training power point looks pretty good.
MLKHS '18
MIT '22

Expectations low, hopes high
Mathdino
Division: C
State: NV

Post by Mathdino »

Hey vennowsah, I'd start by looking up websites and teacher plans for the integumentary system to get a general idea of the topic and then moving on to more advanced resources. Some Google searches on "integumentary system teachers" and "integumentary system beginners" turned up some pretty good results. As always, there's Wikipedia and the SciOly wiki when the latter gets updated for an excellent introduction to the topic (just make sure there are no 'citation needed's ;) )
After that you might want to go a little more advanced, so you can go to the local library, bookstore, or college to pick up a medical textbook or two. Gray's Anatomy, if you really want to get into the event, is extremely dense though extremely useful, and apparently in the public domain, accessible on that link.

Have fun on the event! If you ever have any questions you can just post them here and people tend to respond within a day or two.

Source: My Asian best friend who medalled last year and whose favourite book is Campbell & Reece's Biology.
"If, in other sciences, we are to arrive at certainty without doubt, and truth without error, it behooves us to place the foundations of knowledge in mathematics."
-Roger Bacon, The Opus Major of Roger Bacon
emescferrall
Division: B
State: AZ

Post by emescferrall »

Yes, the PowerPoint is really good! I got most of my nervous system notes from there last year, and I'm building my integumentary system notes from there too.
I took first at 2013 States as a 6th grader in Meteorology!!!

2014 State Results:

Anatomy: 2nd
Can't Judge A Powder: 9th
Crime Busters: 1st
Heredity: 3rd
Meteorology: 3rd
Sounds of Music: 2nd

2015 Events: Anatomy, Crave The Wave, Crime Busters, Experimental Design, Meteorology, Picture This
vennowsah
State: CA

Post by vennowsah »

Mathdino wrote:Hey vennowsah, I'd start by looking up websites and teacher plans for the integumentary system to get a general idea of the topic and then moving on to more advanced resources. Some Google searches on "integumentary system teachers" and "integumentary system beginners" turned up some pretty good results. As always, there's Wikipedia and the SciOly wiki when the latter gets updated for an excellent introduction to the topic (just make sure there are no 'citation needed's ;) )
After that you might want to go a little more advanced, so you can go to the local library, bookstore, or college to pick up a medical textbook or two. Gray's Anatomy, if you really want to get into the event, is extremely dense though extremely useful, and apparently in the public domain, accessible on that link.

Have fun on the event! If you ever have any questions you can just post them here and people tend to respond within a day or two.

Source: My Asian best friend who medalled last year and whose favourite book is Campbell & Reece's Biology.
Wow, that was really helpful. Thank you. :)
I studied the nervous system this way last year, but it seemed easier, since I had some previous knowledge of it, unlike integumentary. I'll definitely check out Gray's Anatomy though. I skimmed through some chapters of it last year, and as you said, it was extremely dense. But I'll make sure read it more thoroughly this time. xD
emescferrall wrote:Yes, the PowerPoint is really good! I got most of my nervous system notes from there last year, and I'm building my integumentary system notes from there too.
Ah, same. I got plenty of notes from last year's PowerPoint as well, and I'm looking forward to starting this year's notes from it. ^_^
MLKHS '18
MIT '22

Expectations low, hopes high
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

This question might seem straightforward, and I never really thought about it until now...

Are the somatic and autonomic nervous systems divisions of the efferent division of the PNS? Or do both systems include the afferent division as well? I just realized I have conflicting sources on this :oops:
fantasyfan
State: NY

Post by fantasyfan »

Crazy Puny Man wrote:This question might seem straightforward, and I never really thought about it until now...

Are the somatic and autonomic nervous systems divisions of the efferent division of the PNS? Or do both systems include the afferent division as well? I just realized I have conflicting sources on this :oops:
They are different classifications. Somatic and Autonomic are referring to whether the actions are controlled and recieved by conscious or unconscious thought. Afferent and Efferent refers to whether the signals are coming to or leaving the brain
Looking forward to anatomy, protein, fossils, and optics (NYS trial) this year!
Crazy Puny Man

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

fantasyfan wrote:
Crazy Puny Man wrote:This question might seem straightforward, and I never really thought about it until now...

They are different classifications. Somatic and Autonomic are referring to whether the actions are controlled and recieved by conscious or unconscious thought. Afferent and Efferent refers to whether the signals are coming to or leaving the brain
But where do they overlap? I mean, most sensory neurons are unipolar-structural classification overlaps with functional classification. By the same token, do the somatic & autonomic systems consist of both afferent & efferent fibers, or are they technically speaking only efferent?
fantasyfan
State: NY

Post by fantasyfan »

I know that they both have efferent fibers and the somatic has afferent, but I am not sure about the autonomic, because in the training PowerPoint it only mentioned relaying information to the organs as part of the autonomic. If I had to answer on a test however, I would say that they both have both afferent and efferent fibers
Looking forward to anatomy, protein, fossils, and optics (NYS trial) this year!
Crazy Puny Man

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

I think you could say that both divisions have their own specialized sensory receptors (for somatic...extero & proprioceptors? for autonomic...interoceptors?), & therefore sensory neurons...yeah

And lemme get this straight too: sympathetic/parasympathetic are efferent divisions of the ANS?

Return to “2014 Study Events”