Dynamic Planet B/C

nomynameisnotkevin
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by nomynameisnotkevin »

I would like to know as well! I've run into such a question every year, at least half of my comps have either that or carbon...
myrules
State: IN

Post by myrules »

What are some sites I can use to study for Dynamic Planet? Are there some test prep things that I could possibly use? Post the link, please! :mrgreen:
musicalcoconut
Division: Grad
State: MN

Post by musicalcoconut »

myrules wrote:What are some sites I can use to study for Dynamic Planet? Are there some test prep things that I could possibly use? Post the link, please! :mrgreen:

The online textbook that someone posted before is super helpful. Another thing that you can do is look up "glaciers" on Wikipedia, and then click on every link on the page and read all of the information on those linked pages, and click on links on those pages, etc. Also, the USGS Glossary of Glacier Terminology is useful.

For test prep, I think one of the most helpful things you can do is take practice tests, which you can find on the test exchange.
2014 Graduate of Mounds View High School
National Medalist in Elastic Launched Glider (2013) and Dynamic Planet (2014)
sprinkles88
Division: B
State: CA

Post by sprinkles88 »

can someone help me get some good sites for the oxygen isotope analysis
Events I have done or am doing: forestry, dynamic planet, boomilever, write it do it, helicopters, road scholar, ornithology, and experimental design
colorado mtn science
State: CO

Post by colorado mtn science »

For those who know glens flow law: What unit do you measure shear strain in?
4n6-Chick-1995
State: PA

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C - Glacier Mass Balance

Post by 4n6-Chick-1995 »

I'm looking for practice problems on glacial mass balance and chart interpretation-- never figured out how to do that last year but now I need to learn. For example, if given a table of data titled simply "Glacial Mass Balance" and it gives years, glaciers' names, no units for anything, and a list of positive and negative numbers.... Blah. Are the numbers +/- from each previous year?? As in, if 1995 is -0.07 and 1996 is -0.01, is the total cumulative loss in mass balance -0.08, or -0.01? I originally assumed that it was a cummulative figure given for each years' new losses, so the number given was -0.01 down from the original, but now I'm thinking that doesn't make sense...I'm also assuming here that (-) refers to a loss in glacial mass balance (so ablation>accumulation) but I also want to be sure about that, just in case.

If anybody could help me out in this department, I'd appreciate it, thanks. :)
ceg7654

Post by ceg7654 »

My team(not me though) competed in the Muscatel Invitational on Saturday, and we did really well and won first place in DP. I'm going to our second Invitational which is on the 1st, at Mesa Robles. My friend who was on the Muscatel DP team told me it was really easy. Should I expect the same level of easiness for the Regional competition or are Invitationals always pretty easy?
2016 Events: Invasive Species, Fossils, Write It Do It

#TehEntoCult
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Test difficulty varies between tournament to tournament, from event to event. Generally, in terms of difficulty, nationals > state > regionals, but invitationals can be all over the board. In this case it sounds like the test was at the bottom of that spectrum. You should prepare as if the test will be much more difficult; that way you're prepared for everything.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
ceg7654

Post by ceg7654 »

zyzzyva980 wrote:Test difficulty varies between tournament to tournament, from event to event. Generally, in terms of difficulty, nationals > state > regionals, but invitationals can be all over the board. In this case it sounds like the test was at the bottom of that spectrum. You should prepare as if the test will be much more difficult; that way you're prepared for everything.
Thanks, zyzzyva980. Another thing I would like to ask is about this topic. Is Glaciers the only topic of Dynamic Planet or is there rotation of topics like the Taxonomy events and Astronomy? If so, what are all the different topics of Dynamic Planet and after how many years does it rotate?
2016 Events: Invasive Species, Fossils, Write It Do It

#TehEntoCult
musicalcoconut
State: MN

Post by musicalcoconut »

I'm not positive about this, but I think the topic changes every two years. Two years ago it was rivers and lakes, and I've heard rumors that next year the topic will be volcanic activity.
2014 Graduate of Mounds View High School
National Medalist in Elastic Launched Glider (2013) and Dynamic Planet (2014)

Return to “2014 Study Events”