Dynamic Planet B/C

Sodium_
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by Sodium_ »

This is my first year doing dynamic planet, and my partner and I winged it at regionals. We got lucky, and did pretty good, but I would want to risk it for state. What would be some good links, and some stuff to study that's not on the wiki or soinc links? :) thanks so much! And I saw earlier on this forum that someone used a textbook- if anyone knows any good textbooks, I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much! :)
cnapun
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by cnapun »

Sodium_ wrote:This is my first year doing dynamic planet, and my partner and I winged it at regionals. We got lucky, and did pretty good, but I would want to risk it for state. What would be some good links, and some stuff to study that's not on the wiki or soinc links? :) thanks so much! And I saw earlier on this forum that someone used a textbook- if anyone knows any good textbooks, I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much! :)
http://www.amazon.com/Glaciers-Glaciati ... 0340905794

Its really sad that I can't find a pdf of this online, but this is the only glaciers textbook I have found that looks decent. I have not read it because it's too expensive.
Sodium_

Post by Sodium_ »

Thanks so much cnapun! Yeah, I was looking for a pdf but I will be sure to check this out! Thank you! :)

- does anyone doing dynamic planet know some good pdf textbooks? Thanks! :)
Solomon123

Post by Solomon123 »

jameswei
State: IL

Post by jameswei »

Hey I'm stuck on things to put on my cheat sheet. We're going to state soon and we finished 3 of the 4 pages. Does anyone have any idea on what to put? i have pictures, vocabulary, and history.
ceg7654

Post by ceg7654 »

jameswei wrote:Hey I'm stuck on things to put on my cheat sheet. We're going to state soon and we finished 3 of the 4 pages. Does anyone have any idea on what to put? i have pictures, vocabulary, and history.
Everything mentioned on the Rules Sheet that you haven't 100% memorized yet.
The definition of a glacier.
Elaborate your simpler definitions/explanations to be more specific.
That's pretty much all I can think of...
2016 Events: Invasive Species, Fossils, Write It Do It

#TehEntoCult
Sodium_

Post by Sodium_ »

My partner and I put famous glaciers and glacier landforms. :) we also put a LOT of vocab and pics. That's pretty much what I can say :)
winstonzhang
State: MI

Post by winstonzhang »

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:ceg7654, this is how I understand it works:

Remember that a glacier does not start out in motion. It starts out technically as an ice field moving at 0 m/h- the bergschrund divides this from the rest of the zone of accumulation. Deeper ice means a higher surface-velocity. As ice accumulates throughout the zone of accumulation, the glacier will get progressively faster, until peak at the equilibrium line.

Then, as the ice moves through the ablation zone, it slows down, because the glacier is losing its depth, and in addition topographic irregularities become harder to "navigate" since there is no longer the pressure present to either go around or crush them. So the glacier slows down.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, though my two glacier books don't say why specifically it happens.

More important to them is the evidence that in the zone of accumulation there is extensional flow, illustrated by snow-covered crevasses, indicating the front of the crevasse is moving faster than the back of the crevasse. Past the equilibrium line, these crevasses gradually close due to the opposite compressional flow.

EDIT: Another reason it may flow faster at the equilibrium line than in the zone of accumulation is because there is more basal water flow present.
http://www.geo.umass.edu/courses/geo563 ... ofiles.pdf

This link has a powerpoint slide (slide 4) explaining why glaciers are fastest at the ELA (equilibrium line). It's because the Accumulation Area is dominated by extention, with deformation driving ice toward the bed of the glacier; the Ablation area is dominated by compressional flow. So Plover is correct.
Pupitre
State: RI

Post by Pupitre »

Where's the best place to acquire resources to study for the "representative tasks" portion of the test? I feel like practice problems or interactive tutorials of some kind would be useful but I haven't been able to find anything on the internet that isn't like really basic or just information regarding the tasks.
zy__karen17
State: NY

Post by zy__karen17 »

Does anybody have any good definitions for Firn Line, Snow Line, and the ELA? Thanks!

Return to “2014 Study Events”