syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by syo_astro »

ceg7654 wrote:
zyzzyva980 wrote:Test difficulty varies between tournament to tournament, from event to event. Generally, in terms of difficulty, nationals > state > regionals, but invitationals can be all over the board. In this case it sounds like the test was at the bottom of that spectrum. You should prepare as if the test will be much more difficult; that way you're prepared for everything.
Thanks, zyzzyva980. Another thing I would like to ask is about this topic. Is Glaciers the only topic of Dynamic Planet or is there rotation of topics like the Taxonomy events and Astronomy? If so, what are all the different topics of Dynamic Planet and after how many years does it rotate?
There is in fact a rotation. I believe it will go Glaciers->Oceanography->Earthquakes and Volcanoes->Earth's Fresh Waters or something (I did E and V and Waters :D). I think what was it two year rotations?
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by gneissisnice »

syo_astro wrote:
ceg7654 wrote:
zyzzyva980 wrote:Test difficulty varies between tournament to tournament, from event to event. Generally, in terms of difficulty, nationals > state > regionals, but invitationals can be all over the board. In this case it sounds like the test was at the bottom of that spectrum. You should prepare as if the test will be much more difficult; that way you're prepared for everything.
Thanks, zyzzyva980. Another thing I would like to ask is about this topic. Is Glaciers the only topic of Dynamic Planet or is there rotation of topics like the Taxonomy events and Astronomy? If so, what are all the different topics of Dynamic Planet and after how many years does it rotate?
There is in fact a rotation. I believe it will go Glaciers->Oceanography->Earthquakes and Volcanoes->Earth's Fresh Waters or something (I did E and V and Waters :D). I think what was it two year rotations?
Yep, that's correct.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

ceg7654 wrote:My team(not me though) competed in the Muscatel Invitational on Saturday, and we did really well and won first place in DP. I'm going to our second Invitational which is on the 1st, at Mesa Robles. My friend who was on the Muscatel DP team told me it was really easy. Should I expect the same level of easiness for the Regional competition or are Invitationals always pretty easy?
I'll be writing the dynamic planet test- you should not. If you've heard about the water quality test at Muscatel, it will probably be closer to that.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
scienceandsmiles
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by scienceandsmiles »

Does anyone know of a reliable site/resource for pleistocene and pre-pleistocene glacial history and the periods/epochs of glacial history? :) thanks!
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Wikipedia.

Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:Wikipedia.
+1 :lol:
rtunnel97
Division: C

Post by rtunnel97 »

Crazy Puny Man wrote:
PacificGoldenPlover wrote:Wikipedia.
+1 :lol:
good answer, good answer
“If you like nerds, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.”
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

colorado mtn science wrote:For those who know glens flow law: What unit do you measure shear strain in?
A little bit late, but I believe it is Pascals.

PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C - Glacier Mass Balance

4n6-Chick-1995 wrote:I'm looking for practice problems on glacial mass balance and chart interpretation-- never figured out how to do that last year but now I need to learn. For example, if given a table of data titled simply "Glacial Mass Balance" and it gives years, glaciers' names, no units for anything, and a list of positive and negative numbers.... Blah. Are the numbers +/- from each previous year?? As in, if 1995 is -0.07 and 1996 is -0.01, is the total cumulative loss in mass balance -0.08, or -0.01? I originally assumed that it was a cummulative figure given for each years' new losses, so the number given was -0.01 down from the original, but now I'm thinking that doesn't make sense...I'm also assuming here that (-) refers to a loss in glacial mass balance (so ablation>accumulation) but I also want to be sure about that, just in case.

If anybody could help me out in this department, I'd appreciate it, thanks. :)
Also very late, but my take on it:
The two numbers you cited are NET balance: The glacier lost .07 (insert units here) in 1995 and lost .01 in 1996. That means, between 1995 and 1996, there was a cumulative loss of .08.
Just a wild stab in the dark here, but your table probably contained two rows to the left: one for accumulation, and one for ablation. The net balance number should be obtained by subtracting the ablation from the accumulation number.

Ahren07
Division: B
State: KS

Post by Ahren07 »

Can anyone give me some good study links? Im having trouble understanding this event and am short of some information. I have 15 days until my first competition and really need some good links. Thanks.
2014 Events:
Dynamic Planet
Simple Machines
Entomology

Return to “2014 Study Events”