Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by bernard »

alwaysmatts wrote:
nomynameisnotkevin wrote:For statistical stuff, search Epidemiology. I found a couple pretty good online texts (pdf) to read through.
ik they have some of the statistical stuff on the training handout, but i never saw any of them in any of my states' regionals and states. Are those things might actually appear on the tests or we can actually ignore them
If I understand your question correctly - you should learn it since it is mentioned in the rules for Division C. I guess it's alright if you don't understand all of it; most of the statistics I've seen in Disease Detectives tests have been averages/medians/etc and almost no questions on some of the statistical tests.
These users thanked the author bernard for the post:
Fyren (February 15th, 2021, 9:11 pm)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Yup, don't ignore what's in the rules. Our DD/C Div team made it a point to practice the stats quite well. Admittedly they were not the most wonderful writers but they nailed the stats at state and got the gold. I know that that gold is not from writing eloquently (or even neatly...), so I suspect it's because they quickly could do the chi-squared problem. A few days after state, I was talking with another local coach whose C/DD team got a middle sort of score and this coach said that their DD pair was complaining that the test counted the chi squared problem too highly. So, they might've been surprised by the problem at state.

Just because this year it didn't have Fisher's exact, chi squared, paired t test or whatever doesn't mean that next year it won't.

If you've got a pair on DD where one kid is a junior or senior and the other is a freshman, perhaps task the older kid to be the stats expert...
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
hmath729
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by hmath729 »

I agree that stats are really important, but sometimes the older kid might not be the best at stats.
In addition to stats, the test always includes vocab and/or matching diseases. In my first year on Disease, my partner and I studied the vocab, diseases, and stats a lot and we medaled!
Go HVS Dolphins!
"You don't beat the tests. The tests beat you!"
Medals (10 total) Inv./Reg./State
Anat. -/4th/-
BPL 1st!/1st!/-
DD. -(9th)/1st!/-
Anat. -(8th)/4th/-
BPL 2nd!/5th/-
DD -(9th)/4th/-
Anat. -(8th)/5th/-
DD -(9th)/5th/-
Heredity -(7th)/-(7th)/-
dinad578_
Division: B
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by dinad578_ »

The questions which are discussed over here are very useful and informative. I could improve my knowledge regarding the subjects. Any back support is very much necessary for my academics.Before I used to approach some biology essay writing service for clarifying my doubts. Now this forum is very useful for me a lot.

Return to “2014 Study Events”