Entomology B/C

polypeptides
Division: C
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C

Post by polypeptides »

when you tab your field guides, do you usually write the common name or official name (ex: protura instead of telsontails/proturans)? sorry if this is a stupid question haha next year will be my first time doing this event
ptkid
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by ptkid »

That is pretty much up to you. I tabbed mine by scientific name because I wanted to learn them with scientific name instead of common name. You can really do either. Whatever is your preference.
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SOnerd »

ptkid wrote:That is pretty much up to you. I tabbed mine by scientific name because I wanted to learn them with scientific name instead of common name. You can really do either. Whatever is your preference.
I also did scientific name... It just seemed easier to me because the test will usually ask you the scientific name.
I tabbed the orders in the Audubon, but not the families.
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
humanbeingofearth548

Post by humanbeingofearth548 »

Since it's summer...YAY! STUDY TIME!
How do/would you study for Entomology? Like what do you usually focus on first? And then what would be least important to you...Soemthing like that..I'm trying to see how others study, abd see if their way would help me study...My way of studying isn't that good, so yeah.. :D
2014 Events: Wheeled Vehicle
2015 Events: Entomology, Experimental Design, Fossils, Picture This
2016 Events: Experimental Design, Fossils, Picture This, Scrambler
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SOnerd »

humanbeingofearth548 wrote:Since it's summer...YAY! STUDY TIME!
How do/would you study for Entomology? Like what do you usually focus on first? And then what would be least important to you...Soemthing like that..I'm trying to see how others study, abd see if their way would help me study...My way of studying isn't that good, so yeah.. :D
To study (I don't really see why this works, but it worked really well last year), I usually just make my cheat sheet. I put like info about all orders and families, and this summer, I am reorganizing the info. To practice memorizing the names, I use Quizlet. For ID, I use the tester on the website. I haven't done that this summer, so I'm really rusty on ID :)

Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

User Page
polypeptides

Post by polypeptides »

I'm reading last year's rules and in part d it states, "Topics may include structure and function of internal and external anatomy, ecology, behavior, and history." Does this apply to individual specimens (an order/family) or is it referring to general questions about insects?
humanbeingofearth548

Post by humanbeingofearth548 »

Oh..thank you..All of that helps..And yes! QUIZLET!! I use it too! I made a bunch of quizzes for me during the earlier monthes to study the names...but now, I'm goiing to use it again! XD
2014 Events: Wheeled Vehicle
2015 Events: Entomology, Experimental Design, Fossils, Picture This
2016 Events: Experimental Design, Fossils, Picture This, Scrambler
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SOnerd »

polypeptides wrote:I'm reading last year's rules and in part d it states, "Topics may include structure and function of internal and external anatomy, ecology, behavior, and history." Does this apply to individual specimens (an order/family) or is it referring to general questions about insects?
I think that can apply to both insects as a whole and individual specimens. For example a question might say "Name 3 ways insects help humans", or one could say "Name 3 ways this insect helps humans".
Internal anatomy would probably be more insects in general.
External anatomy may be the standard 6 legs, 2 antennae..., or it could be the specific adaptations of a specimen.
Ecology would probably be more like "Is this insect a herbivore...?", but I haven't really run across too much ecology. Behavior could include mating/courtship rituals or specific behaviors limited to a certain insect.
I have never really had any history questions, but I would assume that would be about the evolution of insects in general or a given individual.

Ento List Page

User Page
polypeptides

Post by polypeptides »

ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification!
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SOnerd »

polypeptides wrote:ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification!
You're welcome!!
(That's just my opinion, so nothing official) :D

Ento List Page

User Page

Return to “2014 Study Events”