SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C

Post by SOnerd »

So what did you guys think of the Nats test?
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
henceagrin36
State: TX

Post by henceagrin36 »

SOnerd wrote:So what did you guys think of the Nats test?
Honestly, I was quite disappointed. I was lucky enough to survive great regionals and state entomology tests with actual specimens, and I was hoping to get wrecked by the nationals test. I did forestry at nationals last year, so I was expecting pretty much the same thing: a hard, torturous test. I felt like the nationals test was too simple and too easy - once I identified the specimen, all I had to do was look for the answers in the field guide (I feel bad for the teams that didn't have the Audubon guide). The specimens were good, but they were so tiny. My partner and I had to stick our faces and hand lens in the alcohol in order to see them properly. It was a good test, but I don't think it was good enough to be nationals quality. I was really expecting a huge challenge, but I didn't get it. I was ready to put up a good fight. Although my partner and I placed at nationals, I still feel like it wasn't deserved - I feel like there were too many possible ties that the rankings were not accurate. My state and regional tests were harder than nationals, unfortunately.
So overall, the test was good, but not good enough.
The University of Texas at Austin
Longhorn Science Olympiad Alumni Association
William P. Clements High School Alumni

2014 Science Olympiad National Tournament
Rocks & Minerals - 1st Place
GeoLogic Mapping - 1st Place
Entomology - 2nd Place

"I love bridge"
"Rock on"
ptkid
State: TX

Post by ptkid »

I have the same feelings as Henceagrin36. I prepared so much for the national tournament and was disappointed by all the Audubon questions and pretty easy insect specimens. And they were all tiny, but that was fine. I could have walked in there with how much I studied for an invitational last December and I would have still gotten the same place I got (7th). We were okay with our placing mainly because I'm pretty sure there were a lot of ties and that the test wasn't hard and didn't properly measure how much teams prepared. All teams were finishing each station very early.
Last edited by ptkid on May 29th, 2014, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
Shreyas1030
Division: B
State: IN

Post by Shreyas1030 »

The B test was very easy as well. However, there was a lot of anatomy, a topic that is rarely covered in the Audubon. I feel like our regionals competition was brutal compared to the nationals test. I received 2nd at state, and 10th at nationals. This was my 1st national tournament ever and I was expecting a brutal test with barely enough time to finish it. The test was the exact opposite. I had around 1.5 minutes for each station to go over answers. To be honest, I barely studied entomology since state, and was quite surprised that I pulled a 10th at nationals. Also, it was very painful to look at the tiny specimen in alcohol. Our hand lens was not very powerful, and gave us nearly no help. However, I did like seeing that each identification station had real specimen along with pictures. That was a real + in the test, but overall, I believe it was WAY too easy for a nationals competition. I hope we don't see anything like that in the future.
2013-14 (Northridge, Regionals, New Albany, State, Nats)
Boom: 16, 2, 11,10,48
Ento: 2, 1, 5, 2,10 :mrgreen:
Ex Des: 1, 2, 2, 2,16
Team: 3,1,7,2,42

2014-15 (Northridge, Regionals) (x means conflict)
Simple: 1,1
Ento: 2,1
Ex Des: 1,4
Crave the Wave: x, 1
Team: 1,1
mk3966
Division: C

Post by mk3966 »

I actually kinda liked the tiny specimen... They were at least a small challenge in relation to the rest of the test. The two huge issues were that they used the most straight-forward specimens (i.e. the horntail and swallowtail) and the questions were copied straight out of the Audubon. I could've identified most of those just by seeing the questions. If I had taken an extra five minutes studying mouthparts I think we could have taken first. One question I still don't know the answer to: Isoptera lack an ?????? We put ovipositor because it's the only thing that starts with a vowel that makes any sense. Anyone know the answer there?
Munster High School (IN) 8-)
National Medals:
Entomology: 4th (2014), 2nd (2015)
Designer Genes: 1st (2014)
Shreyas1030
Division: B

Post by Shreyas1030 »

The only thing I can think of is a stigma, but that doesn't make sense because of the "an" in the question. It may have been a typo, but someone would have probably pointed it out if that was the case. I wouldn't have expected that from a nationals comp anyway. It pretty weird that they asked that... :?:
2013-14 (Northridge, Regionals, New Albany, State, Nats)
Boom: 16, 2, 11,10,48
Ento: 2, 1, 5, 2,10 :mrgreen:
Ex Des: 1, 2, 2, 2,16
Team: 3,1,7,2,42

2014-15 (Northridge, Regionals) (x means conflict)
Simple: 1,1
Ento: 2,1
Ex Des: 1,4
Crave the Wave: x, 1
Team: 1,1
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

Abdominal petiole?
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SOnerd »

I'm doing ento next year, and I was wondering if they usually change the list at all...
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
mk3966

Post by mk3966 »

SOnerd wrote:I'm doing ento next year, and I was wondering if they usually change the list at all...
From what my partner told me, the list and overall rules will be almost identical to this year's...maybe with a few new additions (hopefully they get rid of Dactylopiidae...it's just so weird :? ).
Munster High School (IN) 8-)
National Medals:
Entomology: 4th (2014), 2nd (2015)
Designer Genes: 1st (2014)
PsychrolutesMarcidus

Post by PsychrolutesMarcidus »

For those of you who did well in this in div C at nationals, how many questions do you think you got wrong? My partner and I think we only got a few wrong but we still placed terribly...

Return to “2014 Study Events”