John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by John Richardsim »

zy__karen17 wrote:For nationals, do you guys think there will be questions specific to the Orlando area? Should I bother studying specifics mainly pertinent to Florida? I know at states last year, we were given questions relevant to the area states were held.
You are aware that the topic for meteorology this year is severe storms, right?
Toms_42
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Toms_42 »

John Richardsim wrote:
zy__karen17 wrote:For nationals, do you guys think there will be questions specific to the Orlando area? Should I bother studying specifics mainly pertinent to Florida? I know at states last year, we were given questions relevant to the area states were held.
You are aware that the topic for meteorology this year is severe storms, right?
while this is true, he means to ask if there will be very specific questions about historic Florida weather, which there will not be. An invitational test two years ago was the closest I have ever seen this. There were climate questions about local OH climate. And while there will of course be questions about Florida (hurricanes and stuff), it will not be biased so that Florida teams have an advantage over non-Florida teams. This will be my 3rd nationals meteorology test with the same proctor, and she is usually very good at following the full intent of the rules, as is just about every nationals proctor.
awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

So, for next year... climate.... Is this Meteorology Bible that I've heard about a good source for climate? Also, if it is, where can I find it? And regardless of whether it is or isn't, are there any other textbooks I should get? Sorry if this is too early.
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
Toms_42

Post by Toms_42 »

awesome90220 wrote:So, for next year... climate.... Is this Meteorology Bible that I've heard about a good source for climate? Also, if it is, where can I find it? And regardless of whether it is or isn't, are there any other textbooks I should get? Sorry if this is too early.
Yes, both the Lutgen's book and Meteorology today have some climate in them, but it's mostly Koppen zones.

Edit: koppen + autocorrect don't agree
Last edited by Toms_42 on May 19th, 2014, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
awesome90220
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

Toms_42 wrote:
awesome90220 wrote:So, for next year... climate.... Is this Meteorology Bible that I've heard about a good source for climate? Also, if it is, where can I find it? And regardless of whether it is or isn't, are there any other textbooks I should get? Sorry if this is too early.
Yes, both the Lutgen's book and Meteorology today have some climate in them, but it's mostly lopped zones.
I'm sure you haven't bought all of them, but if you have? Which is the best for climate next year? Oh yeah, and Toms, you were the one I met at the pool table!
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
Toms_42

Post by Toms_42 »

awesome90220 wrote:
Toms_42 wrote:
Yes, both the Lutgen's book and Meteorology today have some climate in them, but it's mostly lopped zones.
I'm sure you haven't bought all of them, but if you have? Which is the best for climate next year? Oh yeah, and Toms, you were the one I met at the pool table!
Oh yeah! we had to leave early from pool though... A shame, for once I was actually winning haha! on to div C next year, so no more meteorology :(
John Richardsim
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Has anyone had a question about debris flows or atmospheric rivers on any of their tests?
Toms_42

Post by Toms_42 »

John Richardsim wrote:Has anyone had a question about debris flows or atmospheric rivers on any of their tests?
Not once, although they are clearly listed as hazards to be tested on in the rules.
pika136
State: NY

Post by pika136 »

John Richardsim wrote:Has anyone had a question about debris flows or atmospheric rivers on any of their tests?
I had a couple picture labelling questions on those two topics at Regionals and States.
SciO Never Stops :P
Toms_42

Post by Toms_42 »

pika136 wrote:
I had a couple picture labelling questions on those two topics at Regionals and States.
Wait, now that I remember, we had a question at one of the invites to determine the hazard pictured in the image, and it was a debris flow.

Return to “2014 Study Events”