Toms_42
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by Toms_42 »

thisusernameistaken wrote:
MMeteorite1 wrote:What makes a good test good? If you were writing your states test, what would you put on it? What frustrates you the most with event tests? What was the best test you took this year and why? Let me hear you weather bugs!
What frustrates me the most is when tests have questions that aren't the right topic. Most of the meteorology tests I took this year had everyday weather questions.
I think that is because severe storms overlaps quite a bit with everyday weather. My partner and I have been getting consistent top 3 at invites (new Albany, wright state, kenston, and solon) using our knowledge of everyday weather almost exclusively. We have barely made changes to our cheat sheet this year, and with the exclusion of derechos and past events we have not really studied much. severe storms used to be my favorite topic, as it was my first year doing meteorology, but I miss everyday weather quite a bit. The graphs/math involved was my favorite part.
mrburrito
Division: B
State: TN

Post by mrburrito »

MMeteorite1 wrote:Can anyone find a clean definition between a Haboob and a dust storm? It is just seasonal? Wind speed? Size of paticles? Pure size and height?

Test writers in this event have a tendancy to use current events so be on your toes for more questions on mudslides (Washington State), Dust storms (yesterday in AZ) and a pending Nor'Easter in upper New England. Just an FYI thanks
There is barely any information on the internet about haboobs, but the biggest difference between a dust storm and a haboob that I know of is that a haboob comes from the collapse of a thunderstorm. Winds range from 22-62 mph, they are about 1000 meters high, and last for up to 3 hours. Hope that helps.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito
Astroknight
Division: C
State: TN

Post by Astroknight »

TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design
awesome90220
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

Hey is there anywhere I can find info on Hurricane Donna that is specific to Orlando?
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
Toms_42

Post by Toms_42 »

Anyone know specifically which event is the "2012 Arizona haboob"? I have read news posts from june, july, and august, so I am not sure what specific event they are referencing. (if their is one...)
awesome90220 wrote:Hey is there anywhere I can find info on Hurricane Donna that is specific to Orlando?
You shouldn't need any, as it isn't a specific event that is listed in the rules, but I may be wrong.

Should records such as "state with most x" and "hurricane with lowest pressure" be known?
Last edited by zyzzyva980 on May 4th, 2014, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: There is no need for rules tags here
awesome90220
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

Toms_42 wrote:Anyone know specifically which event is the "2012 Arizona haboob"? I have read news posts from june, july, and august, so I am not sure what specific event they are referencing. (if their is one...)
awesome90220 wrote:Hey is there anywhere I can find info on Hurricane Donna that is specific to Orlando?
You shouldn't need any, as it isn't a specific event that is listed in the rules, but I may be wrong.

Should records such as "state with most x" and "hurricane with lowest pressure" be known?
You never know ;D. Tests could throw anything at ya
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
Toms_42

Post by Toms_42 »

awesome90220 wrote:
Toms_42 wrote:Anyone know specifically which event is the "2012 Arizona haboob"? I have read news posts from june, july, and august, so I am not sure what specific event they are referencing. (if their is one...)

You never know ;D. Tests could throw anything at ya
yeah, that's what our states test is always like. a ppt with stuff way off of the rules. However, the national supervisor tends to only use topics in the rules, so at this point I have been editing and replacing things based on what I think the test will have. For example, I have removed many lookup tables (HI, WInd chill) because historically the nationals ES provides those.
zy__karen17
State: NY

Post by zy__karen17 »

For nationals, do you guys think there will be questions specific to the Orlando area? Should I bother studying specifics mainly pertinent to Florida? I know at states last year, we were given questions relevant to the area states were held.
Toms_42

Post by Toms_42 »

zy__karen17 wrote:For nationals, do you guys think there will be questions specific to the Orlando area? Should I bother studying specifics mainly pertinent to Florida? I know at states last year, we were given questions relevant to the area states were held.
I doubt it. Last year's and the year before that's nationals tests did not have region specific info, as that is considered unfair to non-florida teams.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

zy__karen17 wrote:For nationals, do you guys think there will be questions specific to the Orlando area? Should I bother studying specifics mainly pertinent to Florida? I know at states last year, we were given questions relevant to the area states were held.
Is that even a question? Have you ever noticed that Florida experiences tropical cyclones, tornadoes, and thunderstorms relatively frequently? Of course they going to ask questions relevant to Florida!

Return to “2014 Study Events”