Meteorology B

MariaK
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by MariaK »

This year's regional meterology test was SO spreadout from clouds to hurricane Sandy. UGGHH
One of the questions I remember was to describe the color of the surface of a thunderstorm cloud, really?
But I guess it was okay, we got in the top 10
MMeteorite1
State: OH

Post by MMeteorite1 »

Nice job!
MariaK wrote:This year's regional meterology test was SO spreadout from clouds to hurricane Sandy. UGGHH
One of the questions I remember was to describe the color of the surface of a thunderstorm cloud, really?
But I guess it was okay, we got in the top 10
thisusernameistaken
State: MN

Post by thisusernameistaken »

MMeteorite1 wrote:What makes a good test good? If you were writing your states test, what would you put on it? What frustrates you the most with event tests? What was the best test you took this year and why? Let me hear you weather bugs!
What frustrates me the most is when tests have questions that aren't the right topic. Most of the meteorology tests I took this year had everyday weather questions.
Irondale
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

Agree. I have helped with writing a test this year. We just started with the rules sheet and created 3-5 questions from a. to n. then created maps and charts, etc. That way we felt it was balanced. Also, always want over 75 questions. I hate the ones where there are only 30 questions, everyone is done in 15 minutes and there are a bazillion tiebreakers being used.
thisusernameistaken wrote:
MMeteorite1 wrote:What makes a good test good? If you were writing your states test, what would you put on it? What frustrates you the most with event tests? What was the best test you took this year and why? Let me hear you weather bugs!
What frustrates me the most is when tests have questions that aren't the right topic. Most of the meteorology tests I took this year had everyday weather questions.
lovescience
Division: B

Post by lovescience »

Anyone have any thoughts on top teams for States in Ohio for Meteorology?
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

Solon and Westlake would be 1 and 1A.
lovescience wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on top teams for States in Ohio for Meteorology?
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

Can anyone find a clean definition between a Haboob and a dust storm? It is just seasonal? Wind speed? Size of paticles? Pure size and height?

Test writers in this event have a tendancy to use current events so be on your toes for more questions on mudslides (Washington State), Dust storms (yesterday in AZ) and a pending Nor'Easter in upper New England. Just an FYI thanks
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

I took a class last night offered by the National Weather Service as a Storm Spotter. Program is call SkyWarn. If you get a chance, check it out. It was free, about 2 hours and was all about Severe Storms. Frankly, I knew most of the material but it was good hearing it from another source. Validated all the great stuff I have learned over the years in Scioly and what I help teach to my B team now.
Last edited by MMeteorite1 on April 4th, 2014, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lovescience
Division: B

Post by lovescience »

MMeteorite1 wrote:I took a class last night offered by the National Weather Service as a Storm Spotter. Program is call SkyWarn. If you get a chance, check it out. It was free, about 2 hours and was all about Severe Storms. rankly, I knew most of the material but it was good hearing it from another source. Validated all the great stuff I have learned over the years in Scioly and what I help teach to my B team now.

Thanks for the information! I looked it up and am headed to a class Tuesday! Thanks for sharing.
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

Here is the link to find a class: http://www.stormready.noaa.gov/contact.htm
MMeteorite1 wrote:I took a class last night offered by the National Weather Service as a Storm Spotter. Program is call SkyWarn. If you get a chance, check it out. It was free, about 2 hours and was all about Severe Storms. Frankly, I knew most of the material but it was good hearing it from another source. Validated all the great stuff I have learned over the years in Scioly and what I help teach to my B team now.

Return to “2014 Study Events”