Meteorology B

Je suis K
Division: C
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by Je suis K »

I have a question that doesn't necessarily pertain to only meteorology, but it happened in meteorology.

If the questions on the test are about subjects not listed in the rules what should you do?

This happened in Meteorology at the Boyceville invite. They had really specific questions like, what is the average amount of precipitation in Wisconsin in the month of January? What is the average temperature in Wisconsin in the month of April? What is the cloudiest month? And others very similar to those. So if this happens at regions or state (Competitions that matter more than invites) What should I do?

Side Note: We ended up scoring 11.5/ 30 on the test, but placed 2nd. So obviously nobody performed well. And to make matters worse the event supervisor didn't write the test, someone else did, so she couldn't answer our questions either... :(
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I think, if you are going to do anything, you have to submit the complaint the day of the tournament. You should have a copy of the rules ready. It's possible that they'll just take out the results from that event, but that's the most that can happen. Since this happened at an invite, I would probably think that they'd just keep the results in, and maybe just inform the supervisor so they know for the future.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Je suis K
State: MN

Post by Je suis K »

Thanks. The reason we didn't say anything was because it was only an invite.
bob doyson
State: WA

Post by bob doyson »

emescferrall wrote:For everyone, I'm in Arizona, and we had our first competition on November 16. About 3/4 of the test was Everyday Weather. Just thought I'd give a heads up! It is NOT all Severe Storms!
Depends on who makes the test, but for the invite we went to, there wasn't much about Severe Storms.
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
-Wernher von Braun
-Camas High School
emescferrall
Division: B
State: AZ

Post by emescferrall »

So, this has happened to me and my partner once, and it happened again when I was away and my partner competed with someone else. We went into the even with two double-sided pages of notes. Our event supervisor told us that we could only take ONE double-sided page of notes into the event. However, the rules CLEARLY state that we can have two double-sided pages of notes. My coach complained, and it turned out that we were allowed to have two double-sided pages of notes. But, at the next tournament, the same exact thing happened!! Has this happened to anyone else??? I'm really mad :x

Thank you.
I took first at 2013 States as a 6th grader in Meteorology!!!

2014 State Results:

Anatomy: 2nd
Can't Judge A Powder: 9th
Crime Busters: 1st
Heredity: 3rd
Meteorology: 3rd
Sounds of Music: 2nd

2015 Events: Anatomy, Crave The Wave, Crime Busters, Experimental Design, Meteorology, Picture This
bob doyson

Post by bob doyson »

Show the event superviser a copy of the rules for the Metrology event (as you should always have it with you during a computition). In the EVENT PERAMETERS, it states, "Each student may bring one non-programmable calculator and one 8.5" X 11" two-sided page of notes containing information in any form from any source." This means that if there are two people (you and your partner) competing in that event, you can then bring two double sided pages of notes, also if it's just you, you still might be able two bring two pages of notes double sided.

Hope this helped!
-Wernher von Braun
-Camas High School
emescferrall
Division: B
State: AZ

Post by emescferrall »

bob doyson wrote:Show the event superviser a copy of the rules for the Metrology event (as you should always have it with you during a computition). In the EVENT PERAMETERS, it states, "Each student may bring one non-programmable calculator and one 8.5" X 11" two-sided page of notes containing information in any form from any source." This means that if there are two people (you and your partner) competing in that event, you can then bring two double sided pages of notes, also if it's just you, you still might be able two bring two pages of notes double sided.

Hope this helped!

Thanks. It's just that after it happened the first time, and my partner and I were right, it shouldn't have happened again. Plus, my partner and I were denied our second double-sided page of notes, yet the event supervisor let another team from our school bring in FOUR one-sided pages!!! In my opinion, if one (or more) team(s) are denied notes, then ALL teams should be denied notes :x
I took first at 2013 States as a 6th grader in Meteorology!!!

2014 State Results:

Anatomy: 2nd
Can't Judge A Powder: 9th
Crime Busters: 1st
Heredity: 3rd
Meteorology: 3rd
Sounds of Music: 2nd

2015 Events: Anatomy, Crave The Wave, Crime Busters, Experimental Design, Meteorology, Picture This
MMeteorite1
State: OH

Post by MMeteorite1 »

I think you raise an interesting point. Rules state 1 2-side sheet per person. It doesn't state 2 sheets per team. We have basically devised 2 2-side sheets per person, so in the event that the 2nd team members is what we lovingly call "a warm body" that the team has the full compliment of information. Also prevents duplication of information.

bob doyson wrote:Show the event superviser a copy of the rules for the Metrology event (as you should always have it with you during a computition). In the EVENT PERAMETERS, it states, "Each student may bring one non-programmable calculator and one 8.5" X 11" two-sided page of notes containing information in any form from any source." This means that if there are two people (you and your partner) competing in that event, you can then bring two double sided pages of notes, also if it's just you, you still might be able two bring two pages of notes double sided.

Hope this helped!
bob doyson

Post by bob doyson »

One thing I'm still confused about is whether or not you can bring two pages of notes (double sided) if you only have one person competing.
-Wernher von Braun
-Camas High School
ReBobville
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by ReBobville »

bob doyson wrote:One thing I'm still confused about is whether or not you can bring two pages of notes (double sided) if you only have one person competing.
The Rules would seem to come into conflict with this as it is only one sheet per student. However, I think that most if not all supervisors would allow two sheets, in the interest of fairness.
Strath Haven High School- 2015
Purdue University- 2019

Return to “2014 Study Events”