How was the Case Regional (OHIO) test?
MMeteorite1
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by MMeteorite1 »

Let's see: Rossby waves and Lee waves, condensation nuclei, adiabatic cooling and very little on actual severe storms. Again, it's like no one writing the tests stop to look at the parameters of the testable material as outlined. Also, extremely short which usually means not very desciminating.
Sciwizkid wrote:How was the Case Regional (OHIO) test?
thisusernameistaken
State: MN

Post by thisusernameistaken »

What is a gale storm and a water funnel?
Irondale
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

The U.S. National Weather Service defines a gale as 34–47 knots or 39–54 miles/hourof sustained surface winds. On the Beaufort Wind Scale, a Gale is classified as: 7: Moderate Gale (32–38 miles per hour), 8: Fresh Gale (39-46 mph), 9: Strong Gale (47-54 mph) and 10: Storm/Whole Gale (55-63 mph). A Gale is a type of Wind Description preceded by 0: Calm, 1: Light Air, 2: Light Breeze, 3: Gentle Breeze, 4: Moderate Breeze, 5: Fresh Breeze, 6: Strong Breeze and succeeded by 11: Violent Storm and 12: Hurricane on a Beaufort Wind Scale. Gale is often a maritime reference.

In regards to water funnel, I would assume it is just another name for Water Spout which in general terms would describe a very weak tornado over water, but there are several versions and ways that it can develope, We actual had several develope this winter over Lake Erie that were associated with Lake Effect Snow. Hope that helps.
thisusernameistaken wrote:What is a gale storm and a water funnel?
tboneplayer1
Division: B

Post by tboneplayer1 »

emescferrall wrote:The rules say "Each student may bring one non-programmable calculator and one 8.5" x 11" two-sided page of notes containing information from any form in any source." Does that mean that my partner can bring a different set of notes than me? I really hope so, because if that's true, we can expand our notes SO much! Thx :D
I know this is a bit late ;) , but my partner and I each took a different set of notes to competition and nobody objected, so I think it's okay.
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

Curious, were you at Case last week? New Albany?
tboneplayer1 wrote:
emescferrall wrote:The rules say "Each student may bring one non-programmable calculator and one 8.5" x 11" two-sided page of notes containing information from any form in any source." Does that mean that my partner can bring a different set of notes than me? I really hope so, because if that's true, we can expand our notes SO much! Thx :D
I know this is a bit late ;) , but my partner and I each took a different set of notes to competition and nobody objected, so I think it's okay.
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

Do you watch Jeopardy? There is a guy on now who has won 8-9 in a row, just cruching it (over $230,000). I think I could take him with the right catagories. Sports Weather Anatomy Pop Culture and US History, yep! How about posting some good Jeopardy Answers and Question in Meteorology.
homesciencenerd
State: CO

Post by homesciencenerd »

me and my partner each took one double page of info for regional and asked the judges and they said it was ok
juanton out

:ugeek:
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

Looking for a fun way to spice up studying for events. Try re-purposing that old Trivial Pursuit game. Make your own game questions. We take questions from tests and resources. Catagories like T-storms and tornadoes, Hurricanes, Crazy weather, Cold and Frost and Hodge Podge Check it out: http://www.kidzmet.com/files/trivial_pursuit.pdf
meteorology125

Post by meteorology125 »

I think it would be a good idea if test makers would put more hands-on activities on tests. If anyone took the Solon meteorology test, I thought it was nice to have to analyze a surface weather station map. It makes the test more interesting instead of all multiple choice questions. You could look at a surface weather station map and predict the where the highest chance of tornadoes to form is, or where the highest storm surge in a hurricane will be. I think this shows better understanding instead of a multiple choice question.
2015 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Crave the Wave, Entomology, Meteorology, Picture This, Road Scholar, and Simple Machines

Return to “2014 Study Events”