EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

In what context are you referring to a "map sector"? There are map sections in PLSS, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean by sector.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Voltage
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Voltage »

sunlim, by map are you referring to a topographical map?

In that case, there are 9 sectors in a topo map. They are all the same size and are rectangles/squares that fill up the map in a grid pattern. There is a NW sector, a N sector, a NE sector, an E sector, a center sector, a W sector, a SW sector, a S sector, and a SE sector. The sectors can also be numbered, with 1 as NW, 2 as N, 3 as NE, 4 as E, 5 as center, 6 as W, 7 as SW, 8 as S, and 9 as SE.

You can figure out the boundaries of sectors by using graticule tick marks. If you go along the side of a topo map you'll find a place where the latitude or longitude is marked. Move into the map from there are you'll eventually find a little cross hair that is a graticule tick mark. That tick mark is one corner of 4 sectors.

Sectors help you find stuff. For example, if I were to ask you a question that involved Cheeseman park on the Englewood quad, you would have to search the whole map looking for that park. Whereas, if I were to ask you a question that involved Cheesman park, sector 1 on the Englewood quad, you would only have to search 1/9 of the map.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin and Hobbes, Bill Watterson

I got my quote from a comic book. Tells you a lot about me, doesn't it?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

I'm going to join this event next year, Is there anything I should know for starting?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

The Road Scholar Wiki has lots of great information to get started, and a lot of specific questions you might have have probably been asked and answered in this thread, so I'd suggested reading over those two to start off.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
HeavyHitter406
Division: C
State: IL

Post by HeavyHitter406 »

Unome wrote:I'm going to join this event next year, Is there anything I should know for starting?
I would recommend reading road maps for fun or right before you go to bed. It has been a favorite pastime of mine for several years, even before I got onto Road Scholar. It can be pretty fun, or maybe I am just saying this because I enjoy doing it. I do think that it can be pretty fun. Get a big atlas for the entire US, so you can be prepared for any state they give you. I have reached the point that I can answer questions about physical features in each stats wight even looking at the map because I have looked at maps for fun for a long time.
2014 (Wright State/Lisle/Grayslake/Regionals/State/Nationals)

Water Quality: 8/1/2/1/2/3
Experimental Design: 12/1/5/5/8/37
Road Scholar: 12/2/2/3/3/11
Wheeled Vehicle: 32/6/6/2/11/5
AJTheGreat1729

Post by AJTheGreat1729 »

There is a reason we fare quite well in road scholar. The reason posted above me. ^.^
2014 R/S/N
Entomology 2/3/x
Road Scholar 2/3/x
Experimental 5/8/x
Team 1/2/x

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
[witty comment][/witty comment]
bearasmith
State: MD

Post by bearasmith »

syo_astro wrote:
JonnyL wrote:Can someone explain UTM, azimuths, and PLSS to me? I just don't get it. :?
Have you taken a look at the wiki?
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Road_Scholar

It does cover stuff on UTM, azimuth, and PLSS (at least in summary). I have no idea how PLSS works since I don't think it even exists in NYS >.<.

For UTM, I would recommend going on youtube to find videos, there's a few good websites online from various sources, though. It's the Universal Transverse Mercator system. It's a map projection that approximates a grid and turns the world into multiple 6 degree zones. You usually find it on quadrangles, and you can use its system of easting and northing (remember, read right, read up, that's how you write your coordinates) to locate points on maps. You can also use it to calculate distance and bearing/azimuth between points.

Azimuth (which is related to bearing) just tells you an angle relative to north you go from one point to view another. There's better summaries online I'd bet you could find.

Hope that helps!
Yeah, PLSS is not used in the first 13 colonies. It is also not used in Louisiana and Texas(I think, because Louisiana uses an old French system that uses big strips of lines that lead to water. The strips of land also point downhill from the river for easer irrigation.) PLSS is also not used in Hawaii and Alaska. PLSS was made by president Jefferson. He made it for the homestead act, because it accurately determines 40acre and 10acre plots of land. This all happened because of the Louisiana Purchase. After they bought it he wanted for people to move into the land. Also it would be much easer to take over a land that doesn't have anybody in it so that was another reason for the homestead act.(but I'm getting off topic) ;)
Medal Count: 52
HeavyHitter406

Post by HeavyHitter406 »

AJTheGreat1729 wrote:There is a reason we fare quite well in road scholar. The reason posted above me. ^.^
Mr. AJTheGreat1729 wants your truly to get an ego by complimenting me. For that reason, do not listen to him.

AJTheGreat1729

Post by AJTheGreat1729 »

HeavyHitter406 wrote:
AJTheGreat1729 wrote:There is a reason we fare quite well in road scholar. The reason posted above me. ^.^
Mr. AJTheGreat1729 wants your truly to get an ego by complimenting me. For that reason, do not listen to him.
Yours*.
2014 R/S/N
Entomology 2/3/x
Road Scholar 2/3/x
Experimental 5/8/x
Team 1/2/x

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
[witty comment][/witty comment]
HeavyHitter406

Post by HeavyHitter406 »

And he's also a grammar critic. :D

Return to “2014 Study Events”