Road Scholar B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Road Scholar B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by awesome90220 »

For any previous road scholar participants do I need to know about township and range when it comes to PLSS? The wiki only says that the township and range are located on the bottom and side neat lines of the quad.
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I would say you should, because it's an important part of PLSS, and it's not a super involved concept, so they're quick points if you ever encounter them on a test. They're basically like longitude and latitude for public surveys.

In the PLSS, each survey has a horizontal base line (analogous to the equator) and a vertical principal meridian (analogous to, well, the Prime Meridian). The rest of the survey is then split up into a rectangular grid by supplementary survey lines. Each resulting block (or township) then has a township number and a range number that designates its position in relation to the base line and principal meridian. These numbers are formatted in very similar ways:

Township: Township X (North or South), where X is the amount of rows above or below the base line. e.g. Township 7 South would designate that the township is in the seventh row south of the base line

Range: Range Y (East or West), where Y is the amount of columns east or west of the principal meridian. e.g. Range 13 East would designate that the township is in the thirteenth column east of the principal meridian.

In topographic maps, these are often shortened to three-character codes, such as T7S or R13E. They mean the exact same thing, it's just a shorter way of writing it. Also note that if a row or column touches the base line or principal meridian, then it uses a number of 1, not 0.

Here and here are a couple good sites for PLSS info. There are others too that may easily be found through your preferred search engine.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
awesome90220

Post by awesome90220 »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:I would say you should, because it's an important part of PLSS, and it's not a super involved concept, so they're quick points if you ever encounter them on a test. They're basically like longitude and latitude for public surveys.

In the PLSS, each survey has a horizontal base line (analogous to the equator) and a vertical principal meridian (analogous to, well, the Prime Meridian). The rest of the survey is then split up into a rectangular grid by supplementary survey lines. Each resulting block (or township) then has a township number and a range number that designates its position in relation to the base line and principal meridian. These numbers are formatted in very similar ways:

Township: Township X (North or South), where X is the amount of rows above or below the base line. e.g. Township 7 South would designate that the township is in the seventh row south of the base line

Range: Range Y (East or West), where Y is the amount of columns east or west of the principal meridian. e.g. Range 13 East would designate that the township is in the thirteenth column east of the principal meridian.

In topographic maps, these are often shortened to three-character codes, such as T7S or R13E. They mean the exact same thing, it's just a shorter way of writing it. Also note that if a row or column touches the base line or principal meridian, then it uses a number of 1, not 0.

Here and here are a couple good sites for PLSS info. There are others too that may easily be found through your preferred search engine.
Thanks, it'll come in handy, escpecially since I know I'm going against 2 9th graders that have been in this event all 3 years and are pretty good
silentsage
Division: C

Post by silentsage »

Just changed my division to C, I miss road scholar. Regarding PLSS, make sure you can do the map drawing. If you can do that quickly and correctly, after practice of course, you should have a thorough understanding of the event.
Road Scholar seems to depress everyone on my team who does it, but it's my favorite event...
I <3 DQIX and Squirtle
2013 RS National Champ
awesome90220

Post by awesome90220 »

Could someone explain UTM to me?
Edit 1: the coach says UTM won't come up on tests. Have any of you had tests with UTM?
Last edited by awesome90220 on October 30th, 2013, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

General Information about UTM

It's just another way of pinpointing a particular point on a map. It's kind of an alternative to latitude/longitude. If you have any further issues, feel free to ask.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
magtse
State: CA

Post by magtse »

With the governement shut down, the USGS site is also down....does anyone know where else they can get maps to jump start the road scholar preparation?
tks.
M
penelope
State: TN

Post by penelope »

We just got some stuff from Otherworlds-edu.com. Came with 3 tests, hwy maps, and 3 topographical maps. Really good.
"If my knowledge of mechanical engineering serves me right, applying significant rotational torque to achieve maximum velocity will yield a positive result!"
"Y'mean something good might happen if I get the wheel to spin fast enough?"
"Isn't that what I just said?"
penelope
State: TN

Post by penelope »

We have just started this event. Looking at the topographical symbols for intermittent lakes and dry lakes. They look identical except the outline of the dry lake is a different color. Is that it? So if we see a lake with dots the same color as the outline, that's an intermittent lake, right? Thanks!
"If my knowledge of mechanical engineering serves me right, applying significant rotational torque to achieve maximum velocity will yield a positive result!"
"Y'mean something good might happen if I get the wheel to spin fast enough?"
"Isn't that what I just said?"

Return to “2014 Study Events”