magtse
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rocks and Minerals B

Post by magtse »

Hi All,

Are the teams actually allowed to 'touch' the live sample specimen during the event? (like pick it up and use magnifying glass to check them out)? or are they only allowed to put the magnifying glass close to it instead? Also if they are allowed to pick them up, are they allowed to at least do a fingernail test on them?

It doesn't quite specify on the event description.

Tks,
magtse
hexagonaria
Division: C
State: OH

Re: Rocks and Minerals B

Post by hexagonaria »

magtse wrote:Hi All,

Are the teams actually allowed to 'touch' the live sample specimen during the event? (like pick it up and use magnifying glass to check them out)? or are they only allowed to put the magnifying glass close to it instead? Also if they are allowed to pick them up, are they allowed to at least do a fingernail test on them?

It doesn't quite specify on the event description.

Tks,
magtse
I have seen event proctors that allow students to touch the specimens, and one that has requested that they are kept in plastic bags, so I think it is up to whomever runs the event. They have always asked that they don't scratch them up though, but students break this rule all the time :roll:
DFTBA
technomario
State: PA

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Post by technomario »

Good luck to every one at Regionals/States/Nationals!! I am done for the year, finishing 7th, but looking foward to next year. Sadly, Rocks and Minerals will no longer be an event for the next 3 years! R.I.P Rocks and Minerals and looking foward to Fossils next year!
Henderson High School '16
Nick Luca
solakmagic
State: PA

Post by solakmagic »

Hey all! I'm getting different cleavage angles for Tremolite. Some sources say 60-120, others say amphibole cleavage of 87-93. HELP!
"Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety nine per cent perspiration" - Thomas Alva Edison
darkdeserthighway
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by darkdeserthighway »

solakmagic wrote:Hey all! I'm getting different cleavage angles for Tremolite. Some sources say 60-120, others say amphibole cleavage of 87-93. HELP!
I think it should be 60-120. That's what I saw when I googled "tremolite cleavage" on the source websites.

So sad this event is going away next season..
2015 States- Invasives 10th, Fossils 12th
2014 States- Rocks and Minerals 3rd
2013 States- Rocks and Minerals 7th, Water Quality 9th
2012 States- Rocks and Minerals 10th
Anonymous2
State: IN

Post by Anonymous2 »

I wish Rocks and minerals stays
darkdeserthighway

Post by darkdeserthighway »

Anonymous2 wrote:I wish Rocks and minerals stays
Same here. I hope fossils will be as much fun.
2015 States- Invasives 10th, Fossils 12th
2014 States- Rocks and Minerals 3rd
2013 States- Rocks and Minerals 7th, Water Quality 9th
2012 States- Rocks and Minerals 10th
Celestite
State: NJ

Post by Celestite »

Yup, I studied hard for this event...
I really want to do it again next year
Intj
State: NJ

Post by Intj »

I studied hard too, and then I got to competition and they had taken the easiest test off of Scioly. Plus the pictures weren't that great.
One thing I found really interesting about RM was the crystallography part. I'm going to write to some state directors and ask them to make a Crystallography trial event next year. It may or may not replace Fossils, since it would involve more math and chemistry. If you like the idea, or if you have any suggestions, vote at the poll I created: http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5522
I want to use the poll to show SO directors that there is interest in Crystallography (or not, depending on how people vote...)
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Intj wrote:I studied hard too, and then I got to competition and they had taken the easiest test off of Scioly. Plus the pictures weren't that great.
One thing I found really interesting about RM was the crystallography part. I'm going to write to some state directors and ask them to make a Crystallography trial event next year. It may or may not replace Fossils, since it would involve more math and chemistry. If you like the idea, or if you have any suggestions, vote at the poll I created: http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5522
I want to use the poll to show SO directors that there is interest in Crystallography (or not, depending on how people vote...)
I believe I told you my opinion about this on chat before. I don't think it should replace rocks and minerals. I think perhaps you could make it into some topic like Scientific Tools, make it something in MatSci, or make it part of some other event. I don't think crystallography alone really matches the general earth science and ID aspects of rocks. That is UNLESS you have made some rules, then I think I and others could get a better gist of how the event would work (it could very well be interesting and a great idea). I think someone else came onto the forums before asking to make another event and had even made draft rules. I'm pretty sure that'd be highly appreciated at least for consideration (I'm not a nats coordinator person, but this is how I feel at least).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “2014 Study Events”