Rocks and Minerals B/C

darkdeserthighway
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Post by darkdeserthighway »

Intj wrote:I studied hard too, and then I got to competition and they had taken the easiest test off of Scioly. Plus the pictures weren't that great.
One thing I found really interesting about RM was the crystallography part. I'm going to write to some state directors and ask them to make a Crystallography trial event next year. It may or may not replace Fossils, since it would involve more math and chemistry. If you like the idea, or if you have any suggestions, vote at the poll I created: http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5522
I want to use the poll to show SO directors that there is interest in Crystallography (or not, depending on how people vote...)
Crystallography sounds like a cool idea, but I would like to get a better idea of how it would be run in competition. I still think fossils will be replacing R+M next year though.
2015 States- Invasives 10th, Fossils 12th
2014 States- Rocks and Minerals 3rd
2013 States- Rocks and Minerals 7th, Water Quality 9th
2012 States- Rocks and Minerals 10th
maxiscool1127
Division: C

Post by maxiscool1127 »

hexagonaria wrote:So have any of you ever actually seen something rare/expensive like diamond or silver or gold in a competition? What's the most unexpected specimen you've encountered?
oh yeah in fact i have a diamond in my own personal collection, its small but very useful when testing div. B students :D also at state competition there was diamond and gold at the same station... :)
maxiscool1127

Post by maxiscool1127 »

studying does pay off though i placed 3rd at Mid- Hudson regionals :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
darkdeserthighway

maxiscool1127 wrote:studying does pay off though i placed 3rd at Mid- Hudson regionals :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Nice! You should be proud of yourself! May I ask what school you are from?:p
Pigeon
State: CA

Post by Pigeon »

I'd really like rocks and minerals to stay as well. Can we make it rotation-proof or something next time? :P It's my last year of SciOly as I'll be graduating this year, but man, this was my favorite event of all. Not only was it cool (once you were able to differentiate things by name instead of labels like nubbly rock and shiny rock), but it also made me more interested in geology as a whole. Who knows, maybe I'll minor in it now or something, haha.
sciencegeek100

Post by sciencegeek100 »

Pigeon wrote:I'd really like rocks and minerals to stay as well. Can we make it rotation-proof or something next time? :P It's my last year of SciOly as I'll be graduating this year, but man, this was my favorite event of all. Not only was it cool (once you were able to differentiate things by name instead of labels like nubbly rock and shiny rock), but it also made me more interested in geology as a whole. Who knows, maybe I'll minor in it now or something, haha.
I graduated 3 years ago and it was my favorite and I am now a geology major

Fossils is the only event in the rotation with it and they are very closely related

Still I like rocks more.... more colorful :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Nationals History...

2008: Team 1st, Rocks 2nd
2009: Team 3rd, Fossils 7th
2010: Team 5th, Fossils 4th, Ornithology 7th Egg o Naut 6th
2011: Team 4th, Ornithology 3rd
2012: Team 2nd (Assistant Coach)
2013: Team 3rd (Assistant Coach)
rockster

Post by rockster »

My teacher asked me to join SciOly because rocks and minerals..... This was my first year and since it's not going to be back for another 3 years I don't get to do it again until my senior year. I wish they'd leave it... I acctually want to major in geology and this just solidified my choice. Looks like i can focus more on Mission possible then.
Senior year and ready to Rock the Rocks and Minerals :twisted:
Paleofreakazoid

Post by Paleofreakazoid »

Guys rocks is great (I'm thinking of a geology major), but don't start hating on fossils until you've tried it! It sounds like a lot of you guys started with rocks, and will continue with fossils; for me it is the other way around! Me and my friend (PaleoManiac) have waited for the past three years for fossils to come back, so we can compete in it our senior year. It is the event that made me fall in love with science olympiad...it'll be lots of fun, you just wait :D
Winston Churchill Middle School, class of 2011
Mira Loma High School, class of 2015
darkdeserthighway

Eh, fossils seems a little more dry IMO. Did you start fossils in middle school?
Paleofreakazoid

Post by Paleofreakazoid »

darkdeserthighway wrote:Eh, fossils seems a little more dry IMO. Did you start fossils in middle school?
Yup! I did fossils in seventh and eighth grade.
Winston Churchill Middle School, class of 2011
Mira Loma High School, class of 2015

Return to “2014 Study Events”