Postby Anonymous2 » March 17th, 2014, 5:03 pm

I wish Rocks and minerals stays

darkdeserthighway
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Postby darkdeserthighway » March 17th, 2014, 5:03 pm

I wish Rocks and minerals stays
Same here. I hope fossils will be as much fun.
2015 States- Invasives 10th, Fossils 12th
2014 States- Rocks and Minerals 3rd
2013 States- Rocks and Minerals 7th, Water Quality 9th
2012 States- Rocks and Minerals 10th

Celestite
Division: C
State: NJ

Postby Celestite » March 18th, 2014, 7:00 pm

Yup, I studied hard for this event...
I really want to do it again next year

Intj
State: NJ

Postby Intj » March 23rd, 2014, 10:35 am

I studied hard too, and then I got to competition and they had taken the easiest test off of Scioly. Plus the pictures weren't that great.
One thing I found really interesting about RM was the crystallography part. I'm going to write to some state directors and ask them to make a Crystallography trial event next year. It may or may not replace Fossils, since it would involve more math and chemistry. If you like the idea, or if you have any suggestions, vote at the poll I created: http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5522
I want to use the poll to show SO directors that there is interest in Crystallography (or not, depending on how people vote...)

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby syo_astro » March 23rd, 2014, 10:40 am

I studied hard too, and then I got to competition and they had taken the easiest test off of Scioly. Plus the pictures weren't that great.
One thing I found really interesting about RM was the crystallography part. I'm going to write to some state directors and ask them to make a Crystallography trial event next year. It may or may not replace Fossils, since it would involve more math and chemistry. If you like the idea, or if you have any suggestions, vote at the poll I created: http://www.scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5522
I want to use the poll to show SO directors that there is interest in Crystallography (or not, depending on how people vote...)
I believe I told you my opinion about this on chat before. I don't think it should replace rocks and minerals. I think perhaps you could make it into some topic like Scientific Tools, make it something in MatSci, or make it part of some other event. I don't think crystallography alone really matches the general earth science and ID aspects of rocks. That is UNLESS you have made some rules, then I think I and others could get a better gist of how the event would work (it could very well be interesting and a great idea). I think someone else came onto the forums before asking to make another event and had even made draft rules. I'm pretty sure that'd be highly appreciated at least for consideration (I'm not a nats coordinator person, but this is how I feel at least).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

darkdeserthighway

Postby darkdeserthighway » March 24th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Crystallography sounds like a cool idea, but I would like to get a better idea of how it would be run in competition. I still think fossils will be replacing R+M next year though.

maxiscool1127

Postby maxiscool1127 » April 2nd, 2014, 10:06 am

So have any of you ever actually seen something rare/expensive like diamond or silver or gold in a competition? What's the most unexpected specimen you've encountered?
oh yeah in fact i have a diamond in my own personal collection, its small but very useful when testing div. B students :D also at state competition there was diamond and gold at the same station... :)

maxiscool1127

Postby maxiscool1127 » April 2nd, 2014, 10:09 am

studying does pay off though i placed 3rd at Mid- Hudson regionals :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

darkdeserthighway

Postby darkdeserthighway » April 5th, 2014, 8:47 am

studying does pay off though i placed 3rd at Mid- Hudson regionals :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Nice! You should be proud of yourself! May I ask what school you are from?:p

Pigeon
State: CA

Postby Pigeon » April 5th, 2014, 7:57 pm

I'd really like rocks and minerals to stay as well. Can we make it rotation-proof or something next time? :P It's my last year of SciOly as I'll be graduating this year, but man, this was my favorite event of all. Not only was it cool (once you were able to differentiate things by name instead of labels like nubbly rock and shiny rock), but it also made me more interested in geology as a whole. Who knows, maybe I'll minor in it now or something, haha.

Return to “2014 Study Events”