hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Simple Machines B/Compound Machines C

Post by hscmom »

phil9047 wrote:I was thinking about a sliding hook on my lever, but isn't that less accurate and probably more time consuming?
You know, I think it probably depends on the lever you're using. You might want to try to see what scores you get with the sliding hook and without. Some designs probably do better with a sliding hook, others not.

If you are getting great scores already, why fix what isn't broken?
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
phil9047
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by phil9047 »

hscmom wrote: If you are getting great scores already, why fix what isn't broken?
I do get within half a gram on all my calculations, but I take around 45 seconds every time. What would be an ideal goal for the time, as in what would the winner of nationals get?
Sine functions are quite odd, to be honest.
chinesesushi

Post by chinesesushi »

phil9047 wrote:
hscmom wrote: If you are getting great scores already, why fix what isn't broken?
I do get within half a gram on all my calculations, but I take around 45 seconds every time. What would be an ideal goal for the time, as in what would the winner of nationals get?
For div b, is it just one lever and do they just give you 2 masses, tell you the mass of one and have you calculate the other? If it is, what takes up the most of your time when competing?
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
phil9047

Post by phil9047 »

chinesesushi wrote:
phil9047 wrote:
For div b, is it just one lever and do they just give you 2 masses, tell you the mass of one and have you calculate the other? If it is, what takes up the most of your time when competing?
That is correct. I get the mass of one, and I have to calculate the other. Most of my time is spent on adjusting the lever. I have a program on my calculator, so calculation takes around 0.5 seconds. I feel like it could be done faster, because 45 seconds is a lot of time, but I don't know how to cut my time down other than shaving down a few seconds through practice.
chinesesushi

Post by chinesesushi »

Yeah adjusting takes a long time. I usually do my thing for compound machines in ~30 seconds. I don't know what takes so long on yours, as it is almost for sure simpler. Are you sliding both masses? On my machine I only adjust one, and the other one is fixed.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
phil9047

Post by phil9047 »

Oops, sorry. Today, I was practicing and I got around 11-15 seconds. Forget that. I use a sliding lever, so I have the lever with that has a long hole drilled through it. I think that's the most accurate. I've been getting within 0.5% when I don't rush as much and within 1% when I try to go for time.
misterstealyogirl
State: MN

Post by misterstealyogirl »

Hi, I've been testing my machine and can get around 45 points consistently. Can someone tell me if this is a good score or not? What score do you guys usually get when testing your machine (mass and time score)?
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

misterstealyogirl wrote:Hi, I've been testing my machine and can get around 45 points consistently. Can someone tell me if this is a good score or not? What score do you guys usually get when testing your machine (mass and time score)?
I have seen teams get up to around 47 points, but 45 points definitely gets you into the top tier of teams. If you are doing well on the exam this device score won't hold you back.
helicpters_rule
Division: B
State: OH

Post by helicpters_rule »

my best i have ever gotten was a little over 49
Sciolapedia
State: PA

Post by Sciolapedia »

Usually, our lever is off by 0.005-0.01%.
and the time part is usually usually around 30 seconds but can be up to 50 depending on how bad it was proctored.
so its around 47 points or so

what do u think the national top 6 teams at nationals would get

Return to “2014 Study Events”