Simple Machines B/Compound Machines C

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Simple Machines B/Compound Machines C

Post by chalker »

BSchiffer wrote:Thanks! One more question, for the lever, it says it must fit in a box 100x100x50 at impound, but does it have to actually be in a box? Or does it just have to theoretically fit?

Thanks again for everyone's help!!!
No. Many science olympiad events give max sizes for devices based upon a theoretical box size. You don't have to have any actual box though.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
BSchiffer
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BSchiffer »

chalker wrote:
BSchiffer wrote:Thanks! One more question, for the lever, it says it must fit in a box 100x100x50 at impound, but does it have to actually be in a box? Or does it just have to theoretically fit?

No. Many science olympiad events give max sizes for devices based upon a theoretical box size. You don't have to have any actual box though.
So if we bring it there in a box in two pieces, can we set it up at the impound? Or if not, can we set it up at the competition without it counting as are "part 2" time?
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

BSchiffer wrote:
chalker wrote:

So if we bring it there in a box in two pieces, can we set it up at the impound? Or if not, can we set it up at the competition without it counting as are "part 2" time?
I'd set it up at impound or before. I'd recommend having it ready to run before your competition time.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
Sciolapedia
State: PA

Post by Sciolapedia »

U dont have to. My partner and I don't bring a box and we've been fine.
DrJ
Division: B

Post by DrJ »

BSchiffer wrote:Can someone explain to me the ideal mechanical advantage of pulleys? Some sources say that it is the number of pulleys, others say the number of strings, and others say its one for a stationary and 2 for a moving. I feel like this shouldn't be this complicated so if someone could explain it to me I would be very grateful.

The IMA of a pulley system is equal to the number of rope that LIFT the load.
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

chalker wrote: No. Many science olympiad events give max sizes for devices based upon a theoretical box size. You don't have to have any actual box though.
And, after over a half decade on SO with four offspring, I think we've purchased every size of theoretical box that the SO store offers on the soinc website! They come unassembled but are a breeze to put together and fold up for storage. Much easier to manage than actual boxes!

:D
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
phil9047
State: CA

Post by phil9047 »

As I was building my lever, a friend told me that I was not allowed to make any markings on the lever (aka I was not allowed to tape a ruler onto the lever). I don't have the rule sheet, so is that actually a construction rule?
Sine functions are quite odd, to be honest.
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

phil9047 wrote:As I was building my lever, a friend told me that I was not allowed to make any markings on the lever (aka I was not allowed to tape a ruler onto the lever). I don't have the rule sheet, so is that actually a construction rule?
You are absolutely allowed to do that to make markings, as well as use any tools or measurement devices that you have brought to competition.
chalker

Post by chalker »

phil9047 wrote:As I was building my lever, a friend told me that I was not allowed to make any markings on the lever (aka I was not allowed to tape a ruler onto the lever). I don't have the rule sheet, so is that actually a construction rule?
You really need to ask your coach for a copy of the rules, buy one yourself at the soinc.org store, or get the mobile app (see my sig below). There are a lot of event parameters you need to be aware of and the fact you are relying on things a friend tells you is only likely to result in you being very disappointed come competition time.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
phil9047
State: CA

Post by phil9047 »

I was thinking about a sliding hook on my lever, but isn't that less accurate and probably more time consuming?
Also, on the rule sheet, it does not specify the types of calculators allowed, so I'm assuming that all calculators are allowed. Has anybody encountered any trouble regarding calculator types? I have already created a program on my TI-84 which can calculate the unknown mass, so I really want to bring that calculator to the competition.
Sine functions are quite odd, to be honest.

Return to “2014 Study Events”