How would you instal the sliding hook? And by the way thanks SO much Schlopedia
BSchiffer
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Simple Machines B/Compound Machines C

Post by BSchiffer »

Can someone explain to me the ideal mechanical advantage of pulleys? Some sources say that it is the number of pulleys, others say the number of strings, and others say its one for a stationary and 2 for a moving. I feel like this shouldn't be this complicated so if someone could explain it to me I would be very grateful.
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

FenderBender87 wrote:How would you instal the sliding hook? And by the way thanks SO much Schlopedia
Find something that slips over the bar of your scale and glue/attach a hook to it. We dug around in the toy box and found a tube of some sort (I thought it was a plastic Tinker Toy piece but a quick Google search doesn't show it...) that worked just fine.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
hscmom
Coach
Coach

Post by hscmom »

BSchiffer wrote:Can someone explain to me the ideal mechanical advantage of pulleys? Some sources say that it is the number of pulleys, others say the number of strings, and others say its one for a stationary and 2 for a moving. I feel like this shouldn't be this complicated so if someone could explain it to me I would be very grateful.
For block and tackle systems, count the lines that are directly connected to the mass.

A stationary pulley only changes the direction of the pull. No mechanical advantage there.

A moving pulley gives mechanical advantage: you use less force but must pull the rope more. Youtube has some good videos and there are lots of websites and worksheets out there for practice.
BSchiffer

Post by BSchiffer »

Thanks! One more question, for the lever, it says it must fit in a box 100x100x50 at impound, but does it have to actually be in a box? Or does it just have to theoretically fit?

Thanks again for everyone's help!!!
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

BSchiffer wrote:Thanks! One more question, for the lever, it says it must fit in a box 100x100x50 at impound, but does it have to actually be in a box? Or does it just have to theoretically fit?

No. Many science olympiad events give max sizes for devices based upon a theoretical box size. You don't have to have any actual box though.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
BSchiffer

Post by BSchiffer »

chalker wrote:
BSchiffer wrote:Thanks! One more question, for the lever, it says it must fit in a box 100x100x50 at impound, but does it have to actually be in a box? Or does it just have to theoretically fit?

No. Many science olympiad events give max sizes for devices based upon a theoretical box size. You don't have to have any actual box though.
So if we bring it there in a box in two pieces, can we set it up at the impound? Or if not, can we set it up at the competition without it counting as are "part 2" time?
hscmom
Coach
Coach

Post by hscmom »

BSchiffer wrote:
chalker wrote:

So if we bring it there in a box in two pieces, can we set it up at the impound? Or if not, can we set it up at the competition without it counting as are "part 2" time?
I'd set it up at impound or before. I'd recommend having it ready to run before your competition time.
Sciolapedia
State: PA

Post by Sciolapedia »

U dont have to. My partner and I don't bring a box and we've been fine.
DrJ
Division: B
State: OH

Post by DrJ »

BSchiffer wrote:Can someone explain to me the ideal mechanical advantage of pulleys? Some sources say that it is the number of pulleys, others say the number of strings, and others say its one for a stationary and 2 for a moving. I feel like this shouldn't be this complicated so if someone could explain it to me I would be very grateful.

The IMA of a pulley system is equal to the number of rope that LIFT the load.

Return to “2014 Study Events”