Astronomy C

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Astronomy C

Post by syo_astro »

To both of you, AlphaTauri is not a he (just to save her the time). I believe she said she would do it, but senior year can be quite busy, you'll see ;).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
astro124
Division: C
State: AZ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by astro124 »

Sorry about that Alpha Tauri. Yeah, senior year can be tough (Syo Astro you probably know that too).
2012 Season: Reach for the Stars-3rd (State) / Keep the Heat-19th (State)
2013 Season: Astronomy-2nd (State) / Disease Detectives-15th (State)
2014 Season: Astronomy-1st (State) / Experimental Design-20th (State)/ Anatomy and Physiology-16th (State)
2015 Season: Astronomy

Thunder
BSchiffer
State: IL

Post by BSchiffer »

For this event we are allowed laptops, but is there a rule as to what we can do on the laptop? I assume internet is not allowed, but are we allowed to have browser windows opened with pre-loaded pages, or is this against the rules?
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

BSchiffer wrote:For this event we are allowed laptops, but is there a rule as to what we can do on the laptop? I assume internet is not allowed, but are we allowed to have browser windows opened with pre-loaded pages, or is this against the rules?
I am pretty sure you are allowed to have almost anything on your laptop provided you are not using the internet during competition. However, I would recommend downloading and opening the page from your hard drive, not that it really makes that much of a difference, but would look less questionable.
astro124
State: AZ

Post by astro124 »

Yes. By no internet they mean no internet, browser, google, etc.

I'm assuming that you're talking about having pages on the internet pre-loaded before you turn off your wi-fi, right? An alternative would be to copy and paste the info onto a word doc instead.
2012 Season: Reach for the Stars-3rd (State) / Keep the Heat-19th (State)
2013 Season: Astronomy-2nd (State) / Disease Detectives-15th (State)
2014 Season: Astronomy-1st (State) / Experimental Design-20th (State)/ Anatomy and Physiology-16th (State)
2015 Season: Astronomy

Thunder
JCicc
State: PA

Post by JCicc »

PA Southeast Regional top scores: 75, 71, 70, 65, 63.

Scores are out of 80 (although most of the top teams got the bonus). Easy bonus this time, harder at States as you know.

You all know what's going down at PA States. Prepare thyself.
Asteroidea

Post by Asteroidea »

Hi!
So there is this question that has been popping up on a couple tests that I have no idea how to answer:

Which of the objects in problems 1 through 6 would be observable at some time
during the year from (name of a city) given a sufficiently large telescope and a clear sky?

I'm assuming it would have to do with their declination and stuff but besides that I'm clueless...

thanks!
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

If you have the latitude of the city and the declinations of the objects, you can determine the maximum altitude. In the northern hemisphere, it is possible to see objects with a declination of greater than the latitude minus 90 degrees, or in the southern hemisphere, (with a negative latitude sign) a maximum of the latitude plus 90 degrees.
darkwinters
State: IL

Post by darkwinters »

There was a question that came up today that I remember also came up a while ago, but I wasn't quite able to dig it up from my notes.

"This object contains many Type II Supernovae remnants along with many Class O stars" (or something to that effect).
JCicc
State: PA

Post by JCicc »

I would think this would indicate a young cluster or association; the type II SNR and O stars would imply a relatively young age. I assume the question was directed at the objects list from this year? In which case the Trapezium is a young open cluster.

Return to “2014 Study Events”