EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Astronomy C

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

They're the same. Optical just sounds fancier, and (this is just me thinking here, don't quote me on this) "visible" implies that it is the only section that can be seen, and astronomers can see other bands via telescopes, so optical is better semantics-wise.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

There's also the visible band (somewhat greenish)! On a side note, anyone hear about a new supernova? Thanks forever for bringing it up to me :D.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Or as I like to call it, the "verde" band. (hahaha, visible is greenish, V band, verde is green in Spanish... :P )
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

themeltingface
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by themeltingface »

foreverphysics wrote:Most of the time, if you post the problem and explain how you did your work, someone will magically crop up and help you out here. There are lots of astronomy notes online for you to look at; understanding those will help you understand how they arrived at the answers.
What Carroll and Ostlie book do you recommend? An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics or An Introduction to Modern Stellar Astrophysics? Or is there another one totally?
iridium
Division: C
State: OH

Post by iridium »

Thanks for the help :).
tad_k_22

Post by tad_k_22 »

@meltingface: they're the same book, but the text on "Modern Stellar Astrophysics" takes only the chapters from the "Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" related to stellar structure and evolution. If you're planning on studying astronomy in undergrad, I'd get the full text.
Old Events:
Astronomy, Remote Sensing (Both Mars and Global Warming), Dynamic Planet (Oceanography/Earthquakes and Volcanoes), It's About Time, Technical Problem Solving, and I really don't want to count, but did fail at-Fermi Questions.
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

I am new to Division C, but have done RFTS for the past two years. I know that Astronomy is much more in-depth than RFTS and that there are more calculations involved. Are there any other major differences that I need to know?
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

Cheesy Pie wrote:I am new to Division C, but have done RFTS for the past two years. I know that Astronomy is much more in-depth than RFTS and that there are more calculations involved. Are there any other major differences that I need to know?
Generally there are no star charts or constellations in Astro (you probably guessed that), but aside from that, I'd say the events are pretty similar. RFTS experience will help a little
Last edited by Crazy Puny Man on December 22nd, 2013, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Basically what CPM said. All of the conceptual stuff is much more in depth, and you need to have knowledge about a wider breadth of information. For example, for stellar evolution, you are expected not only to know what the stages are, but also why they happen. This applies to anything else you might know. Also, the focus on the objects is different, since you need to know why the objects are notable, and other important facts about the objects, rather than being able to identify them in a star chart or planetarium.

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

I'd also like to add that you need to know about variable stars considering the topic, not just stellar evolution. As in knowing EVERY stage, why and how they evolve, why and how they could be variable, and then even with less DSOs a very high level of depth (they may not ask star charts also, but I would recommend knowing their constellation or at least putting it in your binder). But that is to say, they may not ask about EVERY stage of evolution. But certainly from what I heard of Reach it has more depth.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “2014 Study Events”