Geologic Mapping C

Pupitre
Division: C
State: RI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by Pupitre »

Yeah to be completely honest, I feel like people are completely overlooking this event. What I will say to those trying this for the first time is that the nationals test from last year was fairly straightforward in my opinion and didn't stray from the rules at all. I can't say that will be the case for all state exams because the RI one had a bunch of questions that weren't even REMOTELY related to maps or geology whatsoever! It should be interesting to see how it all pans out as the event is going to come down to who can make the most accurate measurements and interpretations based upon maps, probably not who knows the most about geology. At least from my experience, most of the geology stuff is material covered in middle school earth science or if not, definitely on main Wikipedia articles or YouTube videos.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Pupitre wrote:Yeah to be completely honest, I feel like people are completely overlooking this event. What I will say to those trying this for the first time is that the nationals test from last year was fairly straightforward in my opinion and didn't stray from the rules at all. I can't say that will be the case for all state exams because the RI one had a bunch of questions that weren't even REMOTELY related to maps or geology whatsoever! It should be interesting to see how it all pans out as the event is going to come down to who can make the most accurate measurements and interpretations based upon maps, probably not who knows the most about geology. At least from my experience, most of the geology stuff is material covered in middle school earth science or if not, definitely on main Wikipedia articles or YouTube videos.
Interesting, I've never seen the nats test. I would personally like to say the NYS tests are the hardest :P. The info is by far not on a main wiki article or something...from what I can tell they make up a lot of the questions. I feel like they've mostly stuck to similar things across the last few years, though. Annoyingly some of the stuff they kept on going with this year wasn't explicitly on the rules...but at least that was to be anticipated. I'll say most certainly there are tests that don't just focus on making the most accurate measurements (but there are certain tests like that...those are annoying).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Pupitre

Post by Pupitre »

syo_astro wrote:
Pupitre wrote:Yeah to be completely honest, I feel like people are completely overlooking this event. What I will say to those trying this for the first time is that the nationals test from last year was fairly straightforward in my opinion and didn't stray from the rules at all. I can't say that will be the case for all state exams because the RI one had a bunch of questions that weren't even REMOTELY related to maps or geology whatsoever! It should be interesting to see how it all pans out as the event is going to come down to who can make the most accurate measurements and interpretations based upon maps, probably not who knows the most about geology. At least from my experience, most of the geology stuff is material covered in middle school earth science or if not, definitely on main Wikipedia articles or YouTube videos.
Interesting, I've never seen the nats test. I would personally like to say the NYS tests are the hardest :P. The info is by far not on a main wiki article or something...from what I can tell they make up a lot of the questions. I feel like they've mostly stuck to similar things across the last few years, though. Annoyingly some of the stuff they kept on going with this year wasn't explicitly on the rules...but at least that was to be anticipated. I'll say most certainly there are tests that don't just focus on making the most accurate measurements (but there are certain tests like that...those are annoying).
My state test one of the questions was "How many people have walked on the moon". So I'm praying to the Science Olympiad gods that they don't make the nats test like that this year :P The NYS floating around on the interwebz is tricky but this year the rules omit UTM so I'm not sure whether or not to expect that.
photogrammetric
State: PA

Post by photogrammetric »

Hello! Anybody on here take the 'Iolani Geomapping test? I'm having some issues with one of the questions.
Harriton High School Captain 2013-2014

SE PA Regionals: 1st GeoLogic Mapping, 2nd TPS (4th Clean Water Challenge ah-whuttup)
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Pupitre wrote:My state test one of the questions was "How many people have walked on the moon".
This brings up a rather interesting generational insight. I think it's pretty common knowledge amongst my generation and older that 12 people walked on the moon (there were 6 Apollo landings, with 2 people each). This is likely due to the fact we either personally witnessed it, or were in school in the decade or 2 following it when it was commonly discussed. However since it's been over 4 decades since the last person left the moon, I suspect it's quickly becoming 'ancient history' to many people.

Not trying to say this is a valid vs invalid question for this event.....

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Friedoyster3
State: IN

Post by Friedoyster3 »

photogrammetric wrote:Hello! Anybody on here take the 'Iolani Geomapping test? I'm having some issues with one of the questions.
I did actually take that test. What do you have questions about?
University of Michigan Aerospace Engineering
Munster High School, Indiana
2015 Nationals: Bridge 12th; Air Traj 7th; Scrambler 6th; Geo Maps 5th; Team 6th!
"Science Olympiad is, was, and always will be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me."
Pupitre

Post by Pupitre »

I'm having some trouble trying to comprehend Mohr's circle and the different principal stresses. Would someone mind giving me a concise explanation as to what sigma 1, 2, and 3 refer to in relation to different fault types.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Pupitre wrote:I'm having some trouble trying to comprehend Mohr's circle and the different principal stresses. Would someone mind giving me a concise explanation as to what sigma 1, 2, and 3 refer to in relation to different fault types.
That is relevant to structural geology, but that's where I kind of drew the line as far as learning went. I felt like the rules just didn't emphasize it enough, and that may as well be asked in MatSci for all I know since it relates to stress and strain. Perhaps someone else felt differently/knows more about it?
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Pupitre

Post by Pupitre »

syo_astro wrote:
Pupitre wrote:I'm having some trouble trying to comprehend Mohr's circle and the different principal stresses. Would someone mind giving me a concise explanation as to what sigma 1, 2, and 3 refer to in relation to different fault types.
That is relevant to structural geology, but that's where I kind of drew the line as far as learning went. I felt like the rules just didn't emphasize it enough, and that may as well be asked in MatSci for all I know since it relates to stress and strain. Perhaps someone else felt differently/knows more about it?
Haha yeah I mean I'm kind of at a loss as to what to study any more so I'm just going more and more in depth into structural geology to hopefully get a better grasp of some of the other concepts. I actually doubt that anything complex about it would be asked on the test, but who knows.
JCicc
State: PA

Post by JCicc »

Check out the test exchange. I'm interested in your feedback on the 2014 SE PA Regional exam.

By the way, typically my Regional exams are always multiple choice. States would have been another story, but I did not write a state test for geomapping.
Last edited by JCicc on May 4th, 2014, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2014 Study Events”