Geologic Mapping C

FatalTragedy
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by FatalTragedy »

Does anybody know of any good books or websites that could be used to study for this event?
2014 Events:
Astronomy
Technical Problem Solving
Geologic Mapping
Write It Do It
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Hm, the dip symbol basically is saying in which direction the bed would dip or be inclined. Maybe it's confusing because it's more asking about anticlines/synclines which actually have to do with age than general form of the fold?

As for books or websites, the wiki I thought linked multiple websites, so do you have any more specific problems you need help with?
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Hosj
State: MD

Post by Hosj »

I've done road scholar (not well lol) How similar are these two events? What carries over, and what new things do I have to learn?
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Nationals 2014:Hydrogeology 8th, Game On 25th
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Hosj wrote:I've done road scholar (not well lol) How similar are these two events? What carries over, and what new things do I have to learn?
Off the top of my head they're not fully similar at all. I haven't done Road Scholar, but there seems to be more emphasis on topo maps, highway maps, and UTM. UTM and topo maps come up in Geomaps, but it involves far more about structural geology, analyzing cross-sections, and understanding how (as the name would suggest) maps are used in geology. Quite a few questions won't be similar...for example, you've likely never or should never encounter a three point problem in Road Scholar. Yet it is a relatively common problem in Geomaps.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

It's analogous to the carryover from Reach for the Stars to Astronomy. The basic skills will definitely help, and there are elements that are similar, but the majority of the event looks at more advanced topics. So there is lots to learn, but your experience in Road Scholar should be helpful. (For example, I've done Road Scholar, but if I tried to take a GeoMaps test now, I probably would get more questions right than someone who didn't do Road Scholar and didn't study for GeoMaps, but still not a whole lot.)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
mpiediscalzo
State: LA

Post by mpiediscalzo »

Is there an answer key for Geological Mapping Regional Tournament Trial Event Exam?
fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian »

Those of you who went to Invies, anyone want to trade a Geo test?
sjwon3789
State: VA

Post by sjwon3789 »

elephantower wrote:We (I'm his partner) were wondering how one finds the geologic feature (antiform/synform) given only the dip symbol (the t-shape thing with a number by it). For example, how does one do 12A on this test:http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... 20Exam.pdf
Do you possibly have an answer key to this test?
2013 Events: Boomilever, Keep the Heat, WIDI
2014 Events: Boomilever, Geologic Mapping, Mission Possible, Scrambler
2015 Events: Air Trajectory, Bridge Building, Mission Possible
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... %20Key.pdf is the answer key. The question the person asked about admittedly confuses me just because I can't get over how the dip symbols seem to not match what they seem to indicate the structure is, ugh. In any case, I tried emailing someone, but they didn't get back to me on it.

In other news, how's the country enjoying this? XD
superblackcat
State: AZ

Post by superblackcat »

@Everyone, I've checked with a Structural Geology Professor, and apparently SciOly can't make correct keys. I've already told syo_astro, but for everyone else who sees it , it is incorrect.
-----
[u]2012-2013[/u]       
1st - Gravity Vehicle               
2nd - Remote Sensing                   
[u]2013-2014[/u]
1st - GeoMaps : 2nd at Nats.
4th - Scrambler
[u]2014-2015[/u]
1st - GeoMaps
1st - IAT
1st - Math Apps
[u]2015-2016[/u]