Geologic Mapping C

Friedoyster3
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by Friedoyster3 »

photogrammetric wrote:Hello! Anybody on here take the 'Iolani Geomapping test? I'm having some issues with one of the questions.
I did actually take that test. What do you have questions about?
University of Michigan Aerospace Engineering
Munster High School, Indiana
2015 Nationals: Bridge 12th; Air Traj 7th; Scrambler 6th; Geo Maps 5th; Team 6th!
"Science Olympiad is, was, and always will be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me."
Pupitre
State: RI

Post by Pupitre »

I'm having some trouble trying to comprehend Mohr's circle and the different principal stresses. Would someone mind giving me a concise explanation as to what sigma 1, 2, and 3 refer to in relation to different fault types.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Pupitre wrote:I'm having some trouble trying to comprehend Mohr's circle and the different principal stresses. Would someone mind giving me a concise explanation as to what sigma 1, 2, and 3 refer to in relation to different fault types.
That is relevant to structural geology, but that's where I kind of drew the line as far as learning went. I felt like the rules just didn't emphasize it enough, and that may as well be asked in MatSci for all I know since it relates to stress and strain. Perhaps someone else felt differently/knows more about it?
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Pupitre

Post by Pupitre »

syo_astro wrote:
Pupitre wrote:I'm having some trouble trying to comprehend Mohr's circle and the different principal stresses. Would someone mind giving me a concise explanation as to what sigma 1, 2, and 3 refer to in relation to different fault types.
That is relevant to structural geology, but that's where I kind of drew the line as far as learning went. I felt like the rules just didn't emphasize it enough, and that may as well be asked in MatSci for all I know since it relates to stress and strain. Perhaps someone else felt differently/knows more about it?
Haha yeah I mean I'm kind of at a loss as to what to study any more so I'm just going more and more in depth into structural geology to hopefully get a better grasp of some of the other concepts. I actually doubt that anything complex about it would be asked on the test, but who knows.
JCicc
State: PA

Post by JCicc »

Check out the test exchange. I'm interested in your feedback on the 2014 SE PA Regional exam.

By the way, typically my Regional exams are always multiple choice. States would have been another story, but I did not write a state test for geomapping.
Last edited by JCicc on May 4th, 2014, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
elephantower
State: AZ

Post by elephantower »

OMG A GEOMAPS TEST! Finally! Having skimmed it, I really like the variety difficulty, and sheer number of questions posed, but it seems like construction problems (ie. stereonet ad 3-point) are underrepresented compared to the rules and other released tests. Could you tell us the highest score received at regionals by any chance? Also, one of your problems has the same diagram as my question in the Q marathon--I think we stole it from the same textbook :P

EDIT: I can't figure out how to get a readable USGS map--the map locator doesn't seem to show actual topographic quadrangles, just an overview (w/o much of the information asked for in the test).
EDIT 2: The full-size map is at https://www.mytopo.com/products/quad.cfm?code=o40075b5 (I think). JCicc, if this is the right map, could you please link it in the test exchange?
Last edited by elephantower on May 4th, 2014, 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
Geologic Mapping: 1, 2
Designer Genes: 3, :(
Astronomy: N/A, :(
2014:
Geologic Mapping: 1, N/A
Protein Modelling: 1, N/A
It's About Time: 1, N/A
Forensics: 9, N/A
2015:
Geologic Mapping: 1, ?
Hydrogeology: 1, ?
It's About Time: 1, ?
Forensics: 10, ?
elephantower
State: AZ

Post by elephantower »

Pupitre--having drawn the line at Mohr Circles and stress vectors like syo_astro, all I can say is that it sounds suspiciously like linear algebra. If you want more information/resources on them, though, http://www.files.ethz.ch/structuralgeol ... stress.pdf is quite helpful.
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
Geologic Mapping: 1, 2
Designer Genes: 3, :(
Astronomy: N/A, :(
2014:
Geologic Mapping: 1, N/A
Protein Modelling: 1, N/A
It's About Time: 1, N/A
Forensics: 9, N/A
2015:
Geologic Mapping: 1, ?
Hydrogeology: 1, ?
It's About Time: 1, ?
Forensics: 10, ?
Pupitre

Post by Pupitre »

Well that test answers my question as to whether or not UTM will be on the test this year. Lots of variety but everything was multiple choice, even a lot of the calculations. It seems to me that there's been a lot more emphasis on the actual mapping part and less on the geology than I thought.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Ah, Cicc, is there any test you can't write well...and to Pupitre the reason it's called Geologic Mapping is because it has both geology and mapping ;). I think Cicc meant to find http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/catalog/ ... 00158)/.do , that seems to have it. It's still a little hard to read, but it's better than nothing. I think for a regional it's a good test (it also leaves room for harder questions to certainly be asked at states/nats). I do have one question I will PM you Cicc.

Edit: I can't seem to get the link working -_-. Argh, idk why...but I basically went to http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/map ... a=2%29/.do , searched for Phoenixville, clicked the marker for the US Topo map, and I picked product 267120.
Last edited by syo_astro on May 4th, 2014, 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
rodowd
State: PA

Post by rodowd »

Did anyone here take the PA state test? I'm just curious to see what anyone else thought of it

Return to “2014 Study Events”