Geologic Mapping C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Geologic Mapping C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I'm personally really excited for this event. Even though I don't get to participate in it, I would definitely be interested in it if I were still in high school. Even though it replaced one of my favorite events, Remote Sensing, I'm still looking forward to what this event will bring as an official national event. :)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Mathdino
Division: C
State: NV
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mathdino »

Nah, this is better than RS. More trig, less tech, and a cooler topic. Anyone know if there are any major changes from when it was a trial event?
"If, in other sciences, we are to arrive at certainty without doubt, and truth without error, it behooves us to place the foundations of knowledge in mathematics."
-Roger Bacon, The Opus Major of Roger Bacon
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Mathdino wrote:Nah, this is better than RS. More trig, less tech, and a cooler topic. Anyone know if there are any major changes from when it was a trial event?
I'm personally just hoping they've made the topic more focused than the past. The thing I've always found annoying was how general it seemed to get. But hey, maybe third year's the charm for finallyyyyy somewhat understanding it.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
balsa
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by balsa »

syo_astro wrote:
Mathdino wrote:Nah, this is better than RS. More trig, less tech, and a cooler topic. Anyone know if there are any major changes from when it was a trial event?
I'm personally just hoping they've made the topic more focused than the past. The thing I've always found annoying was how general it seemed to get. But hey, maybe third year's the charm for finallyyyyy somewhat understanding it.
I agree with syo_astro, the rules for this event where always vague; test writers had pretty much no limit on what they could include. Hopefully that's revised / more well defined this year!
Troy HS Science Olympiad
2015 Events: Protein Modeling, Geologic Mapping, Entomology
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

balsa wrote:
syo_astro wrote:
I agree with syo_astro, the rules for this event where always vague; test writers had pretty much no limit on what they could include. Hopefully that's revised / more well defined this year!
Did you get the rules yet? The event still seems to be rather broad.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Agreed with Crazy Puny Man. Arghh, guess we'll just have to deal with it this year. But eh, live and learn.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
sivertongue
Division: C
State: OR

Post by sivertongue »

I am so happy this replaced RS. I was given RS 3 weeks before states, after our regional competition and it was really difficult to figure out what we needed to know. Hopefully this will be a lot less broad and more focused.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

sivertongue wrote:I am so happy this replaced RS. I was given RS 3 weeks before states, after our regional competition and it was really difficult to figure out what we needed to know. Hopefully this will be a lot less broad and more focused.
If you checked the rules...it sort of is, sort of isn't. The concepts of mapping are fairly specific, but there are general geology questions they can ask to broaden it, and sometimes just getting really random maps can throw you off. At least, that's what I've seen.
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

Does anyone have any ideas on where to buy an "equal projection stereonet"? I suppose it's possible to make this at home but I'd rather not :?

Return to “2014 Study Events”