Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

I have.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
darkdeserthighway
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by darkdeserthighway »

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:I have.
Just out of curiosity, in what context?
2015 States- Invasives 10th, Fossils 12th
2014 States- Rocks and Minerals 3rd
2013 States- Rocks and Minerals 7th, Water Quality 9th
2012 States- Rocks and Minerals 10th
alczha
Division: C
State: OH

Post by alczha »

If my team doesn't make a hydrometer, will we get disqualified? One of my friends said that his hydrometer broke right before the competition and he got dq'd. Now, I'm not sure if that's true or not, but is that supposed to happen?
2012-2013 events:

Forestry
Designer Genes
Boomilever
Write It Do It
Anatomy & Physiology
cupcakegirl
State: TX

Post by cupcakegirl »

alczha wrote:If my team doesn't make a hydrometer, will we get disqualified? One of my friends said that his hydrometer broke right before the competition and he got dq'd. Now, I'm not sure if that's true or not, but is that supposed to happen?
No....I've seen many teams not bring a salinometer and no one has ever gotten DQ'd. Your friend should've just been allowed to guess on those questions and be ranked normally....
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

cupcakegirl wrote:
alczha wrote:If my team doesn't make a hydrometer, will we get disqualified? One of my friends said that his hydrometer broke right before the competition and he got dq'd. Now, I'm not sure if that's true or not, but is that supposed to happen?
No....I've seen many teams not bring a salinometer and no one has ever gotten DQ'd. Your friend should've just been allowed to guess on those questions and be ranked normally....
Yeah, you shouldn't be DQ'd, but it would be useful to just make a simple one out of a straw and some clay so you can get those points. Max. time to construct and calibrate with 0%, 5%, and 10% solutions would be 45 minutes.
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
megan
State: OH

Post by megan »

Sorry to intrude, but I recently went to an invitational and encountered a question that's a bit puzzling. How would you answer this:

Q: Which of the organisms below (a-e) has a symbiotic relationship with coral?

a. gorgonia
b. long-spined black sea urchin
c. hard coral
d. pencil urchin
e. crown of thorns starfish

The only symbiotic relationship I know of involving coral is between zooxanthallae and coral. What are your thoughts?
"For a star to be born, there is one thing that must happen: a gaseous nebula must collapse.
So collapse.
Crumble.
This is not your destruction.
This is your birth." --n.t.

Green Generation
Dynamic Planet
Mission Possible
silentsage
State: PA

Post by silentsage »

megan wrote:Sorry to intrude, but I recently went to an invitational and encountered a question that's a bit puzzling. How would you answer this:

a. gorgonia
c. hard coral
d. pencil urchin

The only symbiotic relationship I know of involving coral is between zooxanthallae and coral. What are your thoughts?
Well, you are correct in your statement, but as none of these options are zooxanthellae, I would likely say crown of thorns. This is not a symbiotic relationship, as the definition would be with zooxanthellae, it would be a mutualism/predation species interaction. They prey on corals, allowing for diversification, but this would hardly be symbiotic.
Road Scholar seems to depress everyone on my team who does it, but it's my favorite event...
I <3 DQIX and Squirtle
2013 RS National Champ
darkdeserthighway
State: NY

Post by darkdeserthighway »

That shouldn't happen. It is very easy to build a hydrometer/salinometer though, and you should build one to help benefit your performance/placing in competition. It doesn't count that much towards your score, but every point is useful. Check the science olympiad website to find resources for building a salinometer!
2015 States- Invasives 10th, Fossils 12th
2014 States- Rocks and Minerals 3rd
2013 States- Rocks and Minerals 7th, Water Quality 9th
2012 States- Rocks and Minerals 10th
colorado mtn science
State: CO

Post by colorado mtn science »

CulturallyScientific wrote:Just curious, but has anyone out there seen tests with scientific names (genus/family, etc.) of organisms not listed in the rules?
The rules specifically say that you need common names only, but still there are these people called regionals event supervisors that don't read the rules carefully.
colorado mtn science
State: CO

Post by colorado mtn science »

megan wrote:Sorry to intrude, but I recently went to an invitational and encountered a question that's a bit puzzling. How would you answer this:

a. gorgonia
c. hard coral
d. pencil urchin

The definition of symbiosis is a relationship between two species where one species benefits. This includes parasitism (not sure about predation, though), so c-o-t starfish might work (p.s. don't always trust inviational tests).

Return to “2014 Study Events”