Solar System B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Solar System B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
mrburrito
Division: B
State: TN
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System B

Post by mrburrito »

I have a really good feeling about this event. This is going to be what I'm remembered for.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Post by ScienceOlympian »

mrburrito wrote:I have a really good feeling about this event. This is going to be what I'm remembered for.
Me too.
I love Solar System!
Last edited by ScienceOlympian on December 16th, 2013, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage
PicturePerfect
State: CA

Post by PicturePerfect »

Where can I find the rules for this event?
2012-2013 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 2nd
Forestry | 3rd
Food Science | 5th
Team | 1st

2013-2014 Event Name | Best Finish |
Heredity | 4th
Water Quality | 7th
Shock Value | 7th
Wheeled Vehicle | 7th

2014-2015 Event Name | Best Finish |
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

PicturePerfect wrote:Where can I find the rules for this event?
Welcome back! Nobody here can give you the rules. You have to get them from your coach after registration and all that. If it helps, the vast majority of us don't have rules. You'll know once we do because folks will start posting snippets of the rules. ;) I can add that this event was last in rotation three (maybe four?) seasons ago, so check the Wiki page linked in the first post. That'll keep you busy, and I'd expect the topics to be close to whatever's currently there.
ckssv07
State: PA

Post by ckssv07 »

Skink wrote:
PicturePerfect wrote:Where can I find the rules for this event?
Welcome back! Nobody here can give you the rules. You have to get them from your coach after registration and all that. If it helps, the vast majority of us don't have rules. You'll know once we do because folks will start posting snippets of the rules. ;) I can add that this event was last in rotation three (maybe four?) seasons ago, so check the Wiki page linked in the first post. That'll keep you busy, and I'd expect the topics to be close to whatever's currently there.
It was last an event in the 2010-2011 season, when Nationals was at Wisconsin-Madison.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

Wow. No comments yet on the massive revamping of Solar System since we saw it last in 2010/2011? I am surprised.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
ckssv07
State: PA

Post by ckssv07 »

rfscoach wrote:Wow. No comments yet on the massive revamping of Solar System since we saw it last in 2010/2011? I am surprised.
Honestly, I don't like the new rules at all.
sciolymom
State: CO

Post by sciolymom »

We were pretty shocked at how limited the scope seems to be. Surely you would still have to have general solar system knowledge, right? How can the SUN not even be on the list of objects for the SOLAR SYSTEM????
Mom/Event Coach
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

sciolymom wrote:We were pretty shocked at how limited the scope seems to be. Surely you would still have to have general solar system knowledge, right? How can the SUN not even be on the list of objects for the SOLAR SYSTEM????
One could argue that the rules include knowing the formation of the solar system due to Part II b.i. History of and formation processes for specific formations above. However, I think the rule was meant to exclude that....

I think it is unfortunate that the rules exclude all the background information that is needed before you even start to cover these topics, and excludes the main object that will be used as an example for the processes happening on the solar system bodies that are included. The event used to follow an undergrad solar system/astronomy class. Now it will be more like a 3rd year special topics class. While I think it will be fun to teach, I think that it will be rare to find a good test, especially for those of us in states where most competitions are held on college campuses and proctored by professors, who are accustomed to pulling an old test out of their class files and making a few adaptations.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

Return to “2014 Study Events”