Solar System B

billyhoho
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System B

Post by billyhoho »

19puppylover wrote:Are there any sites you all suggest for studying, that doesn't include typing the category into Google??? I already use Nasa, but that doesn't have much info about Europa. :?
Your best bet IS to look in google... >.>
Death solves all problems - no man, no problem. You cannot make a revolution with silk gloves. Gratitude is a sickness suffered by dogs.
akfackenthal00
Division: B

Post by akfackenthal00 »

we just had our first invitationals today, but one fo the questions on the test was " where are there equatorial glaciers on earth?" this made me really confused, so i put there are none, but i need a little bit of help here... ?
sciolymom
State: CO

Post by sciolymom »

Science question help please:

On the sample test for Solar System at AAVSO, question 45 answer is "195K". The match for this answer is supposed to be "the triple point of CO2 at 1 atm pressure."

The triple point of CO2 is 216.58 K (-56.57 °C), 518.5 kPa (5.1 atm). Learning about phase diagrams (which I am doing for the first time!) it seems to me that the triple point doesn't change. The state of the matter would change at 1 atm pressure, (and we wouldn't know what that was without a corresponding temperature), but it doesn't seem like the matter would ever reach a triple point at any other parameters than the specified triple point of temp and pressure.

What am I missing here? Thanks for your help, smart people!

Edited to add, I have 2 sources locally saying the answer is incorrect. Anyone else like to contribute?
Last edited by sciolymom on December 17th, 2013, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mom/Event Coach
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by ScienceOlympian »

akfackenthal00 wrote:we just had our first invitationals today, but one fo the questions on the test was " where are there equatorial glaciers on earth?" this made me really confused, so i put there are none, but i need a little bit of help here... ?
Did you go to the Churchill Invitational? Because I was there~
The answers are Mt. Kilimanjaro (in Tanzania), Papua New Guinea, and Ecuador.
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage
sciolymom
State: CO

Post by sciolymom »

Regarding the sample test question I referenced above, question 45 from the AAVSO Solar System sample test, I just got an email back from AAVSO confirming that the question is in error. The temp listed is the sublimation point of CO2 at 1 atm, not the triple point.

Happy! I thought I was totally not understanding this...
Mom/Event Coach
bob doyson
State: WA

Post by bob doyson »

19puppylover wrote:Are there any sites you all suggest for studying, that doesn't include typing the category into Google??? I already use Nasa, but that doesn't have much info about Europa. :?
http://chandra.harvard.edu/edu/olympiad_2014.html
Try this link, look at the second video (it should lead you into a playlist) a just watch the webinars, out contains alot of information.
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
-Wernher von Braun
-Camas High School
SciLlama1
State: IL

Post by SciLlama1 »

billyhoho wrote:
^^This^^, but for some reason I can't find how Thrace/Thera/Conamora were created on Google or the websites.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

SciLlama1 wrote:
billyhoho wrote:
^^This^^, but for some reason I can't find how Thrace/Thera/Conamora were created on Google or the websites.
Really? I just googled their creation with Europa and found at least a few sentences summarizing it (well, there's also random longer pdfs that are harder to understand). I will admit that's not much, but then I guess either the coordinators you have to think are people too, so some may stop there, others may dig deeper. Who knows what we'll find with the depths of the internet (or gasp, with books)! If you really can't find it I can get a link or two to show.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Can_Of_Tuna
State: MO

Post by Can_Of_Tuna »

SciLlama1 wrote:
billyhoho wrote:
I'm pretty sure they are pockets of a liquid substance that has been trapped in the ice. Not 100% about this though... :oops:
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

By the way, this happened

You might want to be aware of this.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Return to “2014 Study Events”