Solar System B

sciolymom
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: May 3rd, 2013, 1:06 pm
Division: C
State: CO

Re: Solar System B

Post by sciolymom » September 27th, 2013, 10:17 am

rfscoach wrote:I think it is unfortunate that the rules exclude all the background information that is needed before you even start to cover these topics, and excludes the main object that will be used as an example for the processes happening on the solar system bodies that are included.
Yes, this. I'm wondering if we will see any clarifications. Last year RFS was general knowledge about the objects with a FOCUS on EMS. You would suspect a similar plan this year, but the rules certainly don't seem to represent that.


Especially because of what you mentioned about the tests, there is no way we can skip covering general solar system information. You just KNOW the tests will likely have that information, plus the ice and water info thrown in. Besides, as you mentioned, you can't really understand the more specific information without covering the basics.
Mom/Event Coach

embokim
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: October 24th, 2013, 3:17 am
Division: C
State: NY
Location: between weird and genius

Re: Solar System B

Post by embokim » October 29th, 2013, 1:26 pm

I am looking forward to this event. I don't really get the part B of this event :!: I will be the best! Ha! Ha! Ha!
Happy to be here

Epicness101
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: March 24th, 2013, 8:51 am
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Solar System B

Post by Epicness101 » October 30th, 2013, 1:06 pm

Wait, wait, wait. So we get a single planet, a handful of moons, a dwarf planet, two asteroid belts, the Oort Cloud, and that's it? No Sun, no Saturn? Nothing on the origins of the Solar System?
From da Big Apple

User avatar
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Posts: 592
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 4:58 pm
Division: B
State: GA

Re: Solar System B

Post by rfscoach » October 30th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Epicness101 wrote:Wait, wait, wait. So we get a single planet, a handful of moons, a dwarf planet, two asteroid belts, the Oort Cloud, and that's it? No Sun, no Saturn? Nothing on the origins of the Solar System?
YUP.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

Epicness101
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: March 24th, 2013, 8:51 am
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Solar System B

Post by Epicness101 » October 31st, 2013, 1:05 pm

rfscoach wrote:
Epicness101 wrote:Wait, wait, wait. So we get a single planet, a handful of moons, a dwarf planet, two asteroid belts, the Oort Cloud, and that's it? No Sun, no Saturn? Nothing on the origins of the Solar System?
YUP.

Great. I think i'm going to quite enjoy this year.
From da Big Apple

embokim
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: October 24th, 2013, 3:17 am
Division: C
State: NY
Location: between weird and genius

Re: Solar System B

Post by embokim » October 31st, 2013, 1:11 pm

Wait so Solar Systems isn't just about the water and ice in our solar system?
Happy to be here

tad_k_22
Member
Member
Posts: 52
Joined: March 29th, 2005, 11:24 am
Division: Grad

Re: Solar System B

Post by tad_k_22 » November 3rd, 2013, 10:49 pm

Hi everybody,

Just so you know, there are flash cards, webinars, and practice tests for the event on http://www.aavso.org/science-olympiad-2014 .

I hope they help!

Tad
Old Events:
Astronomy, Remote Sensing (Both Mars and Global Warming), Dynamic Planet (Oceanography/Earthquakes and Volcanoes), It's About Time, Technical Problem Solving, and I really don't want to count, but did fail at-Fermi Questions.

User avatar
Dragon_Slayer
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: November 1st, 2013, 1:38 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Mordor

Re: Solar System B

Post by Dragon_Slayer » November 5th, 2013, 12:33 pm

embokim wrote:Wait so Solar Systems isn't just about the water and ice in our solar system?
Pretty much.
2013 Events: Helicopters
Reach for the Stars
2014 Events: Robo-Cross
Helicopters
Solar System
2015 Events: Fossils
Picture This
Green Generation
Dynamic Planet

embokim
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: October 24th, 2013, 3:17 am
Division: C
State: NY
Location: between weird and genius

Re: Solar System B

Post by embokim » November 8th, 2013, 3:22 am

I don't want to study what I don't have to and waste time.
My bro says that each year the Theme of Solar Systems changes every year and that this year the theme is water and ice. It also says that this years Solar system says that students must learn about the water and ice inb our solar system. :geek: :evil: :evil: :geek:
Happy to be here

User avatar
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Posts: 592
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 4:58 pm
Division: B
State: GA

Re: Solar System B

Post by rfscoach » November 8th, 2013, 8:39 am

embokim wrote:I don't want to study what I don't have to and waste time.
My bro says that each year the Theme of Solar Systems changes every year and that this year the theme is water and ice. It also says that this years Solar system says that students must learn about the water and ice inb our solar system. :geek: :evil: :evil: :geek:
This is the first year out of the last few rotations for Solar Systems that the theme/rules have changed. How is learning new something a waste of time?
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

Locked

Return to “2014 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest