darkwinters
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MagLev C

Post by darkwinters »

3h mentions:

h. Vehicles must have one motor rotating one propeller. Propellers must have a diameter of <= 14.0 cm
and must be shielded from direct contact such that the event supervisor is not able to make contact
with the propeller with a standard 1/4" dowel. The supervisor must be able to verify these diameters.

Question: would event supervisors most likely be okay with a 1/4" mesh covering the duct (such that the dowel would have to be inserted perpendicular to the mesh to get inside)?
Phys1cs
Division: Grad
State: MD

Post by Phys1cs »

darkwinters wrote:
Question: would event supervisors most likely be okay with a 1/4" mesh covering the duct (such that the dowel would have to be inserted perpendicular to the mesh to get inside)?

If I were you, I would play it safe and go with 1/8 inch mesh. We have asked supervisors and they will try to touch the propeller in any way, so there's no saying that they won't try perpendicular.
joeyjoejoe
State: GA

Post by joeyjoejoe »

darkwinters wrote:Question: would event supervisors most likely be okay with a 1/4" mesh covering the duct (such that the dowel would have to be inserted perpendicular to the mesh to get inside)?
I'd call "perpendicular" the most likely or obvious way for a event supervisor to try to touch it.
darkwinters

Post by darkwinters »

The joys of LiPo batteries.

Including excessive discharge.

Gotta love that.

So now I'm working around making a safe-ish setup for the maglev board- considering soddering the contacts at the end of the motor wires such that they'd be wired to a switch and the . Thoughts?

The motors are capable of spinning viciously fast- so much so that a 5" propeller with a ring (from Kelvin) tore part of the ring and one of the prop blades off (so obviously going to have to use a better prop ;P )

Would anyone reckon it'd be worthwhile switching to a smaller prop and keeping it closer to the base? (i.e. 2.5" diameter)
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Especially this year since (at least my interpretation of) the intent of the rule change was to slow down the vehicles and make them less dangerous, it would definitely be better to switch to a smaller prop.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
darkwinters

Post by darkwinters »

How precise/strict are event supervisors about track dimensions?

Would an extra 1/16th" make too much of a difference, given that it was somewhat of a margin of error from drilling the siderails in?
Robotica
State: OH

Post by Robotica »

darkwinters wrote:How precise/strict are event supervisors about track dimensions?

Would an extra 1/16th" make too much of a difference, given that it was somewhat of a margin of error from drilling the siderails in?
Our team has been to three invitationals this season and our Maglev track has yet to be measured. You may get by at an invitational. Regionals or States could be (should be) stricter.
09astro27nm
State: NM

Post by 09astro27nm »

In the official handbook, the target time would be set by the judges after impound. Is this correct or do we predict our own time?
Also, it said that we have to shield our fan so the judge can not touch it with a 1/4 in. dowel. What is the exact ruling on this, as there can be many ways to interpret this.
Coach Marz

Post by Coach Marz »

09astro27nm wrote:In the official handbook, the target time would be set by the judges after impound. Is this correct or do we predict our own time?
Also, it said that we have to shield our fan so the judge can not touch it with a 1/4 in. dowel. What is the exact ruling on this, as there can be many ways to interpret this.
Correct - Judges will determine Target Time after impound from 5-15 seconds. You will then have to adjust your car to meet the target time.
In my opinion, there is no interpretation in regard to fan protection. If from any direction a 1/4" dowel can be used to touch the propellor, it would be considered illegal.
masser12
State: NY

Post by masser12 »

what are you guys using as shielding for the prop?

Return to “2014 Build Events”